Author Topic: RF Cable Feed-Thru Point  (Read 2946 times)

jacksharp

RF Cable Feed-Thru Point
« on: November 28, 2016, 07:09:12 AM »
I am finally getting to the point of wanting to use my HF Ham Radio in our coach, and nervous about drilling holes when I am not sure what I am going to come in contact with  :o I plan on using the living room "desk" behind the co-pilot chair, next to the recliner, to put my HF radio on, and a ground mounted portable antenna next to the coach outdoors. Now for the question... I would like to use a cable feed-thru on the floor near the "desk" to feed cable into the basement area and through another feed-thru that I can attach the cable to from the outside. Do I dare drill a hole in the floor near the desk to access the basement, or in the floor of the basement area or is there something I could hit?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: RF Cable Feed-Thru Point
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 03:58:12 PM »
Jack,
If I remember correctly there is a heater register in or near the desk. It is fed by 2 heater hoses that end up at the Hurricane. If you can access them, you may be able to run your new cable along the path of the hoses to access the basement. If not, the cutout will give you access the to the bottom of the sub-floor. You should be able to drill through that with relative ease/safety. You may want to consider running your cable out of the basement via one of the bay doors if it isn't going to be in place for an extended period of time. The gasket should have enough give to accommodate it and allow the bay door to still close.
Once in the basement, a better option may be to run the cable to the water bay and mount a connector the bay wall or just have the cable coiled up there. Then you could access the outside via one of the existing access points in the floor.
Steve.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:28:40 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

jacksharp

Re: RF Cable Feed-Thru Point
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »
Hey Steve... GREAT idea!!! I do have a register in the table, so will take a look C :)  Thanks so much for the info my friend...