Author Topic: Another Hurricane Question  (Read 4024 times)

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
Another Hurricane Question
« on: December 01, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »
I have winterized my 1999 Marquis.  No water in the plumbing or storage tanks.  Seaward hot water heater is drained and breaker turned off.  As I understand the Hurricane system, it is my belief that the Hurricane heats and circulates the fluid in a closed system.  When water is in the plumbing system, water passes through a heat exchanger to get it's warmth.  For coach heat, it is the fluid in a closed system that is circulated through the Hurricane where it gets its heat and circulated throughout the coach registers (and engine if requested).  Question;  Is there any reason I cant run my Hurricane for coach heat without water in the plumbing system? My guess is the plumbing system and the coach heat system are completely independent of each other and the Hurricane can be run with or without water in the plumbing system.  Am I right?  Thanks in advance.
1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper 40' Cat C-12
2020 Chev 1500 High Country
Three Forks, Montana
"Where the Missouri River Begins"

Mike Groves

Re: Another Hurricane Question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 08:33:09 PM »
You are right.  Key is to, as you said, turn off the breaker to the hot water electrical heater, so that it doesn't come on.

Mike

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 08:39:56 PM »
Thanks Mike.
Three Forks, Montana

Grant Ralston

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:02:39 PM »
Rick, on our Contessa it isn't possible to completely drain the electric water tank and heat exchanger and piping, so I drain and blow as much water out of the system as I can, than pump RV antifreeze thru the system until I get good color out of all the faucets.

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:08:01 PM »
Thanks Grant.  What type of pump do you use to pump the antifreeze into the system?  I bought a hand pump online and it fell apart during it's first use.
Three Forks, Montana

Grant Ralston

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 08:38:17 PM »
Rick,
I disconnect the suction line of the coach pump and connect a washing machine hose to the threaded suction side of the pump (cutoff end of garden hose will work fine), the other end of the hose goes into a jug of RV antifreeze.  I disconnect & reconnect the power to the pump as needed to pump thru the coach system.  Others have mounted a switch to the wiring of the pump.  It takes a few jugs of antifreeze on the hot water system, but it is good insurance. 

Rick Daniels

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 09:36:37 PM »
Sounds simple Grant.  I will give it a try.  Thanks
Three Forks, Montana