Author Topic: Technique for refilling Coolant?  (Read 4216 times)

Bruce Sieloff

Technique for refilling Coolant?
« on: December 06, 2016, 02:19:20 AM »
I pulled the alternator today for a rebuild and noticed a pinhole leak in the coolant hose running from the BCS overflow tank to the engine and took the opportunity to replace the hose. Inside of the hose showed a good deal of debris and crud, pretty disappointing considering how many folks have been in there in the last three years. I bought a replacement hose from Autozone, a flex type with an exposed spring on the inside for support and flexible ends that should seal well. My question, after getting about 6 gallons of coolant out of the system, and filtering it before it goes back in,  what is the best way to get it back in? I intend to fill the overflow tank and then run the engine briefly to draw the coolant in and then refill and repeat. I am concerned about cavitation. Is there a better method?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Technique for refilling Coolant?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 05:24:47 AM »
Bruce,
You should be able to add the coolant to the surge (overflow) tank and it will drain directly into the engine cooling system. Once the surge tank is full (probably after adding about 5 gallons or so) start the engine and add more as coolant from the surge tank is pulled into the engine.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 10:44:07 PM »
I replaced my leaking hose with a reinforced hose from Autozone. The old hose was a spiral wound wire core with some kind of fabric/rubber cover that had deteriorated on the inside and had broken coils on the inside, a recipe for trouble. Couldn't find a "correct" hose anywhere local, including a specialty industrial rubber shop. CAT doesn't stock anything bigger than 1" ID, so my BCS overflow tank means I'm on my own. I tried NAPA but their heater hose was not reinforced, although of a good thickness, I was wary of collapse when it got hot, so the Autozone item it was. The hose was premade, just the right 16"  length, with unsupported (no wire) ends so it made for easy hose clamping. I had difficulty getting the old hose off as it had welded itself onto the tank and the fitting on the engine side. A sharp utility knife blade let me cut the old hose off by carefully slicing between the wires and just unwinding the hose off the fittings. The coolant I ran into a couple of Homer buckets I carry around and got about 6 gallons or so before the flow stopped. I filled the tank, which has the fill port very close to the top of the engine access door, by using a one gallon container of coolant I had been carrying around and the accordian type fill spout from one of the 2 gallon DEF containers I had purchased for the diesel truck. These spouts fit a standard sized gallon container top and look like an ideal solution to many fill issues, including putting fluid in the Aqua Hot. If you don't use DEF, find someone who does. Took about six fills, filtering the removed fluid through a clean cloth into the one gallon container, but eventually got everything that came out back in. Quite the job and not one I'd be eager to do again. No obvious leaks during my short test run, but tomorrow will prove the case. I hope it holds. :-\

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:53:21 PM »
I purchased one of these at Harbor Freight and have used it several times for pumping coolant into the both the engine and Aquahot tanks.  I rinse it by pumping some clean water through it.  I don't remember what I paid, but it seems like I paid $5 on sale.  It can be used for coolant, gasoline, diesel, Dexron,... any liquid.  Fifteen to twenty pumps of the handle will move a gallon.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arnold-Siphon-Pump-Kit-490-850-0008/203051321?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28I-LawnMowers%7c&gclid=Cj0KEQiA4JnCBRDQ5be3nKCPhpwBEiQAjwN1br1wPUZaZvggy8f6zBkvgV23l9AMpkjj3qIBLMrtjmgaAmSS8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 07:36:40 AM »
David, I used that very device just yesterday to draw down rainwater in my sprinkler system main valve box so I could winterize it.  Had the pump for 25 years or so, and it is indeed handy for all kinds of situations and fluids, and easy to disassemble, rinse clean, and dry after each use. 

My only gripe is the orange hoses that take a set from being stored in loops;  I have to heat them and try "backrolling", bending them in reverse for umpteen minutes to get them halfway straight for easier control during use.  They are pretty stubborn in that regard, but otherwise up to any task.  I need to find a place to store them straight, which is a bit less convenient than simply rolled up in a cabinet.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 04:01:07 PM »
Try a length of heater hose and a funnel. Funnel fits in one end of hose and other end goes into whatever you are adding fluid to. I've had problems with the pump being discussed; loosing prime, hoses kinking etc.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp