Author Topic: Winterizing  (Read 4529 times)

KC Snellgrove

Winterizing
« on: December 06, 2016, 05:38:27 AM »
Good Day fellow Beaver Owners. I have just winterized by rig, but something urgent has come up and I need to use my rig. Is it true that I can use my HydroHot to heat my motorhome even if it is winterized? I do not want to make a mistake, but I though I could. Thank you. I am leaving in the morning.

KC Snellgrove
2005 Monterey Beaver "Olivia Jean"

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Winterizing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:21:00 AM »
My understanding is that the electric water heater needs to be off at the breaker.  The fresh water system was drained and so the electric heat element is exposed to air and can short out or over heat.
The aqua hot heat can run providing hot coolant to the heat registers so heating the coach.
This is my understanding.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:16:41 AM »
I don't know about the breaker, except if one had a simple independent water heater; but since the HydroHot unit heats interior heat exchanger fluid and hot water separately, and the water heat exchanger is the only side winterized, you can use the HydroHot for interior heat.  Just don't turn on the water pump or hook to park water and use a faucet or flush or you'll dispense antifreeze, and effectively dewinterize things.  Engine coolant on the road will also circulate through the HydroHot to aid in heating the coach.

Joel
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:24:33 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 05:28:08 PM »
Looks like I'm five days late with my version!

If you winterized with the pink antifreeze you can use your Hydro/AquaHot for heating the motorhome either with the electric element or the diesel burner.   Due to length of plumbing runs and the complexity of the Hydro/AquaHot it takes about four gallons.  If you've less, you may not be fully winterized.

There are two independent liquid systems.  One is the operating coolant/antifreeze within the Hydro/AquaHot.  It is heated with the electrical element, the diesel burner, the engine or any combination.  It never escapes the Hydro/AquaHot system (unless there is a leak!).  If maintained at 50% with water it can't freeze.  This is the liquid that is pumped through the heat registers to generate heat.  It works no matter what is in the other system.

The other system is where the water for human use is found.  Normally it is water.  But it can be the RV Pink Water System Antifreeze.  If you keep the rig heated in the winter, it can always be water.  If you ignore the usual forum advice of heading south for the winter, you may want to fill the system with the Pink AntiFreeze if you fear storms, power outages or can't keep the heat on. 

The result of the systems being independent is that you can use the motorhome comfortably throughout the winter with a fully winterized drinking water system.  Just don't drink the water, flush the toilet, run the ice maker, take a shower or turn on the water pump.  You can run the heating system.   

In the winter, I always set the two thermostats at 72 degrees while driving.  It seemed that it kept up well with the heat loss caused by the cold air going by at 62mph.  The diesel burner was not needed as there was enough "waste" heat from the engine to keep up.

The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 09:14:50 AM »
A BIG THANK YOU! I so appreciate all of you folks. I thank you for your time and the way you word your answers. MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

KC SNELLGROVE....
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett