Author Topic: Air Horn  (Read 4885 times)

jeffprupis

Air Horn
« on: December 23, 2016, 08:35:27 PM »
OK, newbie - dumb question. We're parked with 50amp service. Air gauge drops over a few days to zero. Is this normal? Air horn doesn't work. Is this normal? TIA

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Air Horn
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 10:09:51 PM »
That's normal for our coach.  The auto air-leveling has its own little compressor, but that doesn't maintain pressure in the whole air system.  Your air horn needs air pressure and power to operate, but that air pressure to the horn is not coming from the auto air-leveling compressor to my knowledge.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
Jeff,
Your air pressure will drop to zero for multiple reasons. First, if your coach has automatic hydraulic leveling, the leveling system will dump the air pressure to level the coach as close to the ground as possible. Next, some air leveling systems use the coach air system to level the coach to supplement it's electric compressor. Last, almost all coaches have at least a slight leak in the air system. However, if your air tanks leak down in less than a day without using a leveling system, you should probably check for leaks, because that is a little too fast.

Like David said, your air horn has to have air pressure in your tank to operate, no air pressure, no air horn. Therefore, both of your issues would be considered normal.

Gerald

Gerald

jeffprupis

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »
Thanks, feel much better now. It would however be nice if the horn continued to work for safety reasons, i.e. approaching vehicle, getting someones attention, alarm, ...  Happy Holidays to all.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 03:46:00 PM »
You're parked, aren't you?  Why would you have another vehicle coming at you?

If you're not parked, meaning the engine is running at idle, or parked only for a rest stop break with the engine off, then (as Gerald said) that is a way-too-quick a loss of air pressure.  Get it looked at.

Have you checked that the solenoid is operating when you push the horn pad on the steering wheel.  My solenoid is located in the electrical bay, back wall, near the floor.  There should be an air line coming in with a T, then with separate air lines going from the T to the air horn solenoid and the step-cover solenoid.  I had to replace that air horn solenoid recently, too.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 03:53:54 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 05:56:24 PM »
I had similar leak down problems and took a trip to HWH and asked them to locate and repair leaks.  Just about every air solenoid had leaking O-rings with one requiring a rebuilt coil.  Now I still have at least 40 # after a month of storage. 
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

jeffprupis

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 04:33:32 PM »
"You're parked, aren't you?  Why would you have another vehicle coming at you?"

IDK - perhaps someone backing into your space? Or trying to get someones attention? I could go on, but I'M SURE you get my point.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 01:57:21 PM »
Jeff,
If having a horn when there is no air pressure is important to you, you can add a typical automotive electrical horn to your system for about $20 in parts and about an hour of your time, or you can add a extra tank and electric compressor for your air horn for about $250 to $300 so your air horn always works.

Gerald

jeffprupis

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 03:37:48 PM »
May just do that with switches in front and bedroom, thanks.