Author Topic: Entry Step Retraction  (Read 4823 times)

Rick Mayer

• BAC Member
Entry Step Retraction
« on: January 06, 2017, 12:27:30 AM »
The entry step on our 1993 Grand Marquis has decided to retract /extend when ever the screen door is operated.  Just started last week.  The Entry Step switch by the door is off and the key is out of the ignition. I disconnected all three wires on the Entry Step switch, one at a a time, and all at once, but the step still continued to extend and retract.  I ran the engine for 30 minutes hoping to reset some errant relay but no help.  My Service Manual Diagram shows a control unit associated with the motor assembly, but nothing charts the Ignition Switch in the circuit, before, when the engine was running, the step retracted/extended with the door operation, regardless  of the position of the Entry Step switch. With the Ignition off, the step followed the command of the Entry Step switch.  There must be an Ignition switch connection somewhere, any ideas?
Thanks
Rick Mayer
605-321-0966
Rick Mayer
1993 Grand Marquis

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Entry Step Retraction
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:24:24 AM »
We do not have a 93 but I do know that the circuit board for the step can get corroded over time. Ours was going in and out non stop until we removed the ground wire. The control board mounted under the step next to the motor has weep holes to drain any water (very small). Over time dust collects  up thru the holes then water doesn't drain as fast eventually comprising the board. That is the reason we had replaced ours this year. This is maybe not your situation. The best deal at the time was from eTrailer.com for both the motor and the controller. The new controller was a sealed unit so no more water issues. Hope this helps.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9
The following users thanked this post: Rick Mayer

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
   Greetings Rick, Here is the Logic of the step operation. The 4 wire square plug that supplies power is about 12" from the step. The red 10gauge wire is the main power supply. the white 14gauge is the 12volt power from the step switch. This disables the step in the out position when parked. The yellow 14gauge is the ignition over-ride that will retract the step when you depart if you forgot to turn on the step switch. The brown wire is the trigger from the door magnet switch that tells the step you closed the door. From your explanation, it sounds like the controller is the issue. To prove that, cut the yellow wire (ignition) and see if you still have the same issue. If the problem stops, then the issue is the yellow wire has somehow become powered with the key in the off position.
   Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Rick Mayer

Rick Mayer

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 12:01:58 AM »
Fred, 
   Thanks for the guidance, after three days of "Winter" down here in south Texas, I crawled under our coach this afternoon to take a closer look at the offending step.  As you mentioned,  a 4 wire square plug, with Red, White, Yellow and Brown wires.  There is also a relay prior to the square plug with the Yellow, I assume Ignition, coming in and going out, and a ground.  Instead of cutting the yellow wire I disconnected it from the relay hoping for success, but alas, the step continued to extend and retract with the ignition switch off, the Yellow Ignition wire removed from the circuit, and the Entry Step switch off. 
   There is a lot of rust and corrosion around the step as it is aft of the right front tire, but all that road grime is to be expected. No idea who, but someone is telling the step that the engine is running, should a new controller be on my shopping list?
  Thanks again for all your help
Rick Mayer
1993 Grand Marquis

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 01:10:50 AM »
     Rick, If you have a 12volt test light, connect the alligator clip to a good ground. probe the yellow wire close to the controller that is mounted to the underside of the step. (don't stab your finger). If the yellow wire is not "hot", the issue is in the controller.
if the yellow is hot with the key off look for a failed relay in the fuse panel. sorry I can't be more specific on your model. Perhaps someone may chime in with more info. Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Rick Mayer

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 11:08:39 PM »
Thanks Fred, I will give that a go tomorrow.  Do you see any reason there is a relay for the Ignition wire, it appears to be non- factory.  Since the only other input is a ground, I fail to see the purpose it is suppose to serve.
Rick Mayer
1993 Grand Marquis

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 11:28:59 PM »
   Rick, hard to say why someone would add a relay, darn engineers are always trying to muck up simple stuff. the yellow wire from ignition hot is only a "trigger" wire for the controller to over-ride the entry door switch. while your down there at the controller, probe the white wire to see if that somehow is 12volt hot. If so, that would also make it go in and out.
   Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Rick Mayer

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 11:15:43 PM »
Fred, As you suggested, I checked all the inputs, Red is always Hot.  Yellow is Hot with the engine running.  The White, Hot with the Entry Switch On, Off, no power.  So, looking at the step measurements, it appears I need a controller for a Kwikee Series 40 Double Step.
Thanks so much for all your help.  Hope to run into you at a Rally sometime.
Rick Mayer
Rick Mayer
1993 Grand Marquis
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks