Author Topic: Popup TV - Onyx model  (Read 7246 times)

Bob Bulot

Popup TV - Onyx model
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:58:39 PM »
Another strange question (bet you wish I'd never bought a Beaver):

This coach is the Onyx floorplan, in which the bed faces forward against the back wall.  The bedroom TV is mounted to a lift which raises from a cabinet at the foot of the bed.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove this TV from the cabinet.

Anyone had experience with this TV and cabinet?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Popup TV - Onyx model
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 03:46:41 AM »
I certainly am not familiar with your configuration, Bob, but had our original ATSC-tunered TVs replaced with new and larger ones last fall and cabinetry enlarged accordingly. 

I found that the old cabinets were assembled, as is common, with "Kreg"-type (pocket hole) joinery.  You may be able to get some, albeit limited, access inside the cabinet to remove such screws and disassemble a cabinet wall enough to more readily get at and dismount the TV.  By the same token, some long screws' heads may be hidden on the outside by wood buttons that easily (but carefully) pop off.

That's pretty common-sense, you might already've been there, done that, and it may not suffice as a help.  Hopefully someone with experience with this particular issue will proffer more useful assistance.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:54:16 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:56:32 PM »
Hi Bob, did we say welcome to the club?  We were looking at a black 06 Onyx last summer.  Beautiful coach.
Our coach has a drop down TV outside under the slide.  BCS recently had it apart and I was looking for the same answer you are.  It looked like the frame that travels up and down comes apart.  On yours you would go through the cabinet on the back side with the TV in the down position.
This is an ovservation only and assumes that yours is like ours only mounted inside in a cabinet.
Try calling BCS and asking Ken Carpenter.

good luck!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bob Bulot

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »
Thanks to all for the welcome and the great advice.

If you looked recently at a black 06 Onyx, chances are. this is it.  Belonged originally to some folks in South Dakota, I think.

I'm stumped on gaining access to the back of this TV.  The attached photo shows the back of the lift, with the TV facing the bed.  The back is covered by a mirror, which is not removable without seven years bad luck.

Found a man in Oregon who used to build Beavers in 06.  Hoping he'll be able to help.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:10:43 PM »
Without examining the configuration in person, it is difficult to judge the possibilities even with a photo.  It may be the mirror has to come off, the Corian top removed, or there's well-hidden exterior-accessed screws yet to locate.  My guess is that there's brackets inside, screwed into the front frame, that trap the TV in place, and the best real access is by removing the mirror.  Obviously that requires someone that knows precisely how it's mounted and what they're doing - I don't see mirror clips, so glue must be involved.  I'd probably get exasperated trying to deal with that and just resort to a hammer, coughing up the expense of a new mirror :o .  Just kidding (I think  ::) ).

Our rear TV cabinet had wood buttons in front hiding long screws as I recall.  Jim Sizemore at RV Outfitters knows these coaches, and could probably get that TV out in nothing flat.  It doesn't look like you have much wood trim left up front as it is, but he may be able to put an even larger set in there by having his co-counsel, Greg Fulton, make new trim like they did for us, back and front TV's.  But the size you have now may be just fine;  upon reflection and some admittedly minimal rear TV use since the conversion, the unit seems a bit too big for its distance from the headboard of the bed.  They are both ex Beaver factory fellows;  I dunno about '06, but I think they were both at the original Bend factory, much before Monaco built yours and ours.  Greg was and is by many considered the premier coach woodworker in the country.  Only Junction City's old Country Coach cabinet makers could come close in my opinion.

Additionally, Beaver Coach Service across the street has a very talented young woodworker, among others, who could do the job.  Their reputation for maintaining the Quality Beaver cabinetry is unscathed, as many here can attest.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Bulot

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 01:13:46 AM »
Thanks Joel.  I would break out the mirror if I was sure it was open to the TV behind it.  I'm trying to get at the back of the TV in order to connect a "Joey" box for my Dish TV system.  There are literally no screws, pegs or other connecting devices visible.

I have put a call in to RV Outfitters and hope to here something back.

Bob Bulot

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 12:16:16 AM »

Jim Sizemore at RV Outfitters knows these coaches, and could probably get that TV out in nothing flat.  It doesn't look like you have much wood trim left up front as it is, but he may be able to put an even larger set in there by having his co-counsel, Greg Fulton, make new trim like they did for us, back and front TV's.  But the size you have now may be just fine;  upon reflection and some admittedly minimal rear TV use since the conversion, the unit seems a bit too big for its distance from the headboard of the bed.  They are both ex Beaver factory fellows;  I dunno about '06, but I think they were both at the original Bend factory, much before Monaco built yours and ours.  Greg was and is by many considered the premier coach woodworker in the country.  Only Junction City's old Country Coach cabinet makers could come close in my opinion.

Joel

Joel - Just heard back from Jim Sizemore.  Great guy.  He is familiar with this floorplan and thinks I have to remove the granite cap to free the TV up. 

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 04:57:46 AM »
Bob, I wonder if the mirror is attached with velcro, the mirror in our bedroom wall is held in place with velcro, Monaco used a lot of it. The mirror in our kitchen and the cover for the drop down front tv,,velcro.

Bob Bulot

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 01:22:03 PM »
Bob, I wonder if the mirror is attached with velcro, the mirror in our bedroom wall is held in place with velcro, Monaco used a lot of it. The mirror in our kitchen and the cover for the drop down front tv,,velcro.

Maybe. I had the same thought. I tried to pry it off, but it seems too solidly attached. As I mentioned, I would sacrifice it, but there's no guarantee that there's an opening behind it. Of course I could solve my problem by making an opening if there isn't one, I suppose. 

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 06:53:09 AM »
I would forgo the mirror approach for the interim, Bob, and see if you can determine how that Corian (granite?) is attached on the lift's top, if Jim didn't clue you.  His experience and opinion is worth heeding.

I use my telescoping mirror and bendable exam light for a lot of hard-to-see issues, and would take a gander with them inside the "handhole" vent where the TV's top controls are.  At least I assume from your photo that is one I'm seeing in the reflection in the headboard mirror.  If you have such tools, available at most hardware places, it may provide some insight (literally) as to how things are put together.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:09:17 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Bulot

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 05:47:43 PM »
You're spot on, Joel. 

I accessed the rear of the TV by removing the granite top (glued on with silicone adhesive).  It was hard to get in there.  Lot's of cussing (like, when I accidentally unplugged the power cord and then didn't realize it until it was all back together). 

The mission was to attach a component video cable, which could then be attached to an HDMI adapter which could then be connected to the HDMI-only "Joey" box connected to my Dish system. 

Thanks to all for the advice and guidance!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 11:49:51 PM »
I'm glad you were able to find your way in, despite any bad language in the process.  Most of us could probably have proffered some additional creative word options in that regard had you ran short in your own repertoire, and had asked.  Experience breeds inventive verbal expression when it comes to these rigs, although if a different RV brand was involved that repository of phrases would likely be considerably larger.

I initially took it that you were trying to replace an NTSC-only TV with an ATSC-equipped one (digital).  Though the DVD/Home Theater and other original components in our '06 Monterey were just below the cutting edge of the era and didn't have HDMI ports, I was lucky the Sharp TV had one, so I could hook modern devices to it back in 2012 using only one cable.  The port was relatively easily reached when I finally figured out how to get through the minimalist access to the TV's back. 

-Joel
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:40:23 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Bulot

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 08:06:18 PM »
Well, Not out of the woods yet.

Tried to connect my Apple TV to the component/HDMI adapter, just as a test.  No luck.  TV displays "Device not compatible". 

Not quite the View-Fest I was counting on.  Not sure if it's the TV, the adapter or the Apple TV box that's not playing well with the others.