Author Topic: 2001 Patriot Thunder hydrolyc slide stuck in out position  (Read 5039 times)

Dale Barham

• BAC Member
2001 Patriot Thunder hydrolyc slide stuck in out position
« on: January 13, 2017, 09:07:59 PM »
We are at Cattail Cove on the way to Quartzsite.  Our SMC leveling system started acting up and now won't do anything but release the air.  I think it is tied into the hydrolics as we had this problem before a fix at Beaver Motor Coach in Bend a couple months ago (new refurbished SMC panel).  Can't roll until we can get the slide in.  Can hear the solenoid click, but not sure if the 250 amp fuse is blown or where the slide motor is on this model.  Sean at BMC said to tap on the slide motor with a ballpeen hammer.  Any advise on RV mobile repair in Lake Havasu City???  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Dale & Sue Barham
With Vizslas Lux & Gypsy, & Cat Tweety
2001 Beaver Patriot Thunder
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: 2001 Patriot Thunder hydrolyc slide stuck in out position
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 11:23:20 PM »
Dale
Just FYI, on our 02 the pump was under the entey step.  I think it was the second step inside the door.  You might have to tap under the edge but it will pop up and give access to the hydraulic pump.  I believe this pump levels your coach on the SMC and operates the slide  on the driver side.
I hope you havent lost a pump.  Sounds like it just isnt getting power.  Could it be just a bad switch / button?  You might pull the switch out and check for power. 
I am sure someone more informed will help shortly.  I hope you have a spot for the night.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dale Barham

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 12:05:11 AM »
Thanks, Ken.  We happened into a mobile rv guy who diagnosed pump motor failure.   We were able to manually push in the slide and have it strapped closed.  Are there any reliable rv repair services in Quartzsite where we could havery the part sent and installed?
Dale & Sue Barham
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 12:08:38 AM »
Dale,

There is an electrical solenoid on the pump motor with some large and small wires. It may look like the one at the bottom of the copper busses in the electrical bay below the drivers seat. Even though you hear it click the large contacts can be bad and not pass the voltage and current. The fuse could also be bad, the "click" is driven by another circuit that may be powered through another fuse and is fed by the small wires. You need to get a meter and measure if voltage is on the solenoid heavy wires, and when the click takes place, if the solenoid passes the voltage from the power feed side to the motor side by following the leads. If it does then it will not hurt to ball pien hammer the motor and see if it will turn/start. It would also not cost much if diagnosis is not your thing to change out the solenoid on the pump assembly given the coaches age and see if that fixes it. Just cut battery power before doing that. I know at least one owner that had that solenoid fail and had to replace it.

Wrote this before catching your latest info, hope it can be fixed soon.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:10:10 AM by Edward Buker »

Dale Barham

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 12:24:09 AM »
Ed, you may not be too late.  Mobile guy may have mis-diagnosed, but did do a range of testing.  Now we are here after 5 on Friday, figuring out our next step.   Lake Havasu City, Quartzsite or just go on to our next destination,  Phoenix, to find a repair shop. We're not mechanical;  maybe a 2001 Beaver was a bit more than we should have taken on.  Thank you for the support!
Dale & Sue Barham
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »
Dale
I hope you don't become too pressed by repairs.  These things happen and you will get better at dealing with them.  it just seems like a lot at first.
You might want to scoot on down to Quartsite and hit the Beaver rally there.  I almost guarantee the folks there will have you fixed up and feeling better too.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dale Barham

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 04:19:58 PM »
Keith, thank you for the support.  Your suggestion seems solid.  Think we will go on down to the rally site tomorrow, although it does not officially start yet.  We're looking forward to meeting some great folks!
Dale & Sue Barham
2011 Honda CRV Toad