Author Topic: Full Time RV Insurance Help!  (Read 6594 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Full Time RV Insurance Help!
« on: January 17, 2017, 04:22:55 PM »
Larry and I have our house in the market so once it sells we will be living in our coach full time.  We have a lot in Stoneridge with no buildings just a slab and hook ups.  My problem is getting a policy for our coach.  We are currently with Allstate and they are changing our policy to 365 days a year and charging an additional $555.00 a year making our total premium around $4,400 a year.  I'm still waiting for the final figures from them.  In speaking with other agents they warn that simply changing our policy this way may not give us full time coverage.  If we make a claim and they then determine we are living in the coach full time they may deny the claim!  I have tried Overland, The Hartford, USAA, Safeco and Progressive.  So far we have only found National General $4,500 and Progressive $4,800 that will insure us.  Who are the full timers in BAC insured through?  Are your premiums in line with these?  Keeping in mind they have a value on our coach at $280,000.  I have been warned against using National General and Progressive due to issues getting them to pay claims.  I'm getting very frustrated with this whole process.
Thanks,
Laura
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Roger Rempe

Re: Full Time RV Insurance Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »
We are full time RVers and have Blue Sky Insurance. Our annual premium that we paid last February was $1469. Last year it increased by about 50% from the previous. Haven't received a renewal notice yet for 2017. Hoping that it stays the same!
The following users thanked this post: Larry Dedrick

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:39:23 PM »
Blue Sky is not writing any new RV policies. 
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Bob Jae

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:46:31 PM »
We used Chris Yust at candcrvinsurance.com .  She is a full timer and has been in the insurance business for a long time, been full time over 16 years.  Our policy is with National General, we had one claim and it was handled quickly.  Call Chris and she will explain the ins and outs and reasons for the rates being what they are.  She will be at Quartzsite starting tomorrow in the Big Tent so email would be the best to make contact.  She will be returning calls in the evening.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 10:50:07 PM »
Our insurance is parttime.  Speaking with our agent recently the estimate for full time was somewhat more but no where near the numbers you mention.
I have a call in to her for more info.  I will report back shortly.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:27:34 PM »
Ok we have good news.  Ron at Overland went above and beyond and managed to get us approved by Foremost Insurance.  Seems the issue is that we have only been Rving for three years and we have a 45 foot Motorhome!  He argued that we have in the last three years driven more than someone that has been RVing for 10 years for four weeks a year.  So now we have full timer coverage for 3,500 a year.  Much better than Allstate at $4,500 and still concerned over it having full timer coverage.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 03:16:45 AM »
Ron may have explained this already, but when it comes to insurance be careful not to overvalue your coach.  If it was totaled, the company will negotiate but end up giving you only real (or less) market value.  There's no point in setting a higher value than that on it and paying the resultant higher premiums for years.

I had to fight the temptation, albeit understandable by most owners, to believe our rig was worth the max;  well, maybe it was to us, but it's not likely going to match the real world marketplace, and I guarantee the insurance adjuster isn't going to be living in any other world.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Larry Dedrick, LaMonte Monnell, Jerry Emert

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 04:27:28 AM »
Glad you were able to get your insurance issue resolved. Ron is a heck of a guy. I may end up with the same Company as you when we start full time travel in 2018. We have a much less valued coach and over 17 years of traveling part time in a few different ones.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl