Author Topic: Trim came loose - How to repair  (Read 2873 times)

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
Trim came loose - How to repair
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:54:09 PM »
The trim band just above the basement doors has pulled away from body of RV and pulled back sealant allowing water to enter basement.
I expect an attachment screw has failed or rusted through and allowed the band to bow away from body.
How do I go about repairing this. Does the entire trim band need to be removed ? Do the basement doors need to come off prior to removing the trim band ?
 I'm very handy and feel comfortable repairing this but would like some direction so as not to damage trim or remove more than necessary to make needed repairs.

Thanks in advance,
Darrell Terry
2004 Monterey

2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

steve zannella

Re: Trim came loose - How to repair
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 10:59:25 PM »
I hate to be bearer of bad news but our coach had the same problem and had BCS do the repair. The screws about every 6 inches attach  a c channel to the frame and the aluminum cover you see on the surface is glued to the c channel. Several screw heads had broken allowing the c channel to separate from the chassis. BCS had to rip the aluminum cover off the channel and re- tap new screws along the c channel then glue the aluminum cover to the c channel and then paint the the cover.

A lot of work and expense.

Now knowing what the c channel looks like it may be possible to locate the screw grove that runs along the c channel and drill and tap new screws through the aluminum cover and and c channel using silicone sealant. You can see what the c channel looks like by removing one end of the aluminum end covers by drilling out the 4 rivets and sliding the cover off revealing the underlying c channel.  I did this on one end of my c channel ends that came loose. I replaced the end cap with new rivets that covered the screw hole.   Its been fine now for 2 years.

Steve

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
Re: Trim came loose - How to repair
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »
Thanks Steve,
 Ill pop the end cap off and see what it looks like.
Darrell
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC