Author Topic: AFE air filter for Cat C9  (Read 3964 times)

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
AFE air filter for Cat C9
« on: February 05, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
Recently engine cleanable  air filters was discussed and seemed to be mostly negative on their usage. My experience has been very positive and our engine oil samples verify my experience. We currently  have put 130k miles on this type oil filter. We do clean the filter every 30k to 50k miles or 12 to 24 months.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: AFE air filter for Cat C9
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 09:36:12 PM »
Bryan, you are correct on what you are doing. Will post the correct information on Ask Dave
blowing out air filter from inside of air filter to the outside with low air pressure. This has been
standard Caterpillar operations to extend replacement of air filter. From motorhome operation
mainly travel on paved roads entry of dust and dirt is not a big problem. Ask Dave ahead will
post Caterpillar technical support to aid in correct maintenance on your Caterpillar engine in
answer to questions. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 11:58:37 PM »
Bryan - I am not familiar with the morphology of differing brands of air filters. My question to you is whether your air filter is dry or wet?  Our coach also has a cleanable AFE filter, but it's a wet oil filter.  To clean it, I purchase a K&N filter cleaning kit and get an extra can of oil.  I spray on the detergent, let it set, and gently rinse the filter clean.  The few times I have cleaned the filter I went after it again with more detergent because I was not sure the filter was clean enough.  After a thorough rinse I let it dry overnight and re-oil and re-install the filter the next day.  My logic dictates to me the K&N filter cleaning kit is made for much smaller filters than I have in the coach.  So I clean it twice and oil it "twice" using in addition half or more of the extra can of oil.

My concern is generated by the criticism of the cleanable air filters.  If your air filter is wet like mine, then your oil analysis experience eases my concern somewhat.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 12:41:53 AM »
Of note here is that the newest deep media K&N units do not require oiling.

If, by their own description, CAT filters improve filtration over time by way of a buildup of a fine outside dirt layer, then perhaps the same is true of the oiled or newer media'd designs.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be recent independent tests of those latest renditions.  Your crankcase oil test results would seem to be supportive of at least the oiled ones, even though 6-10 year-old air filter tests cited in the Forum and elsewhere are not.  I'd like to see independent tests of the latest deep-media', non-oiled washable models.

Joel
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 08:16:47 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 01:22:49 AM »
David our air filter is cleaned as you described but l do not clean twice as you do since the clean water rince gives me confidence the filter is clean.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden