Author Topic: 2000 Marquis interior wood has haze on finish after storage any new fix?  (Read 5133 times)

Larry Wilson

Are there any products available that can be used to treat this haze? I know it appears to be a result of the water based varnish use in 1999,2000. If the wood needs to be stripped and re-varnished is there any place in Florida that might be able to do this?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: 2000 Marquis interior wood has haze on finish after storage any new fix?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 04:37:51 AM »
Larry (as I Recall it)
Jeff the old cabinet guy at BCS said that there are two reasons for the haze.  The tough one is as you mention the water base and requires a refinish.  Sometimes though there is a surface haze from moisture which looks similar but lighter and can be buffed out.  Try drying out the coach for a few days.  Leave an electric heater on and a vent cracked open and see if it makes a difference.
He also said that they often take in cabinet doors for refinishing and ship them back when done never to haze up again.
good luck!
by the way, the new cabinet guy at BCS is Vlad and is really good.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »
Larry,
If the haze that you are talking about is from moisture that causes a cloudy appearance from under the surface, there is not a practical solution unless it is just on one or two cabinet doors. If it is extensive or on the cabinet frames, the cost of a proper refinish job for the interior cabinets for a 2000 Marquis will total the coach. Fifteen years ago, I looked at purchasing a used 1998 Marquis from Florida with very cloudy cabinets, but when I was quoted $45,000 by a RV cabinet shop in Bend to refinish the cabinets, I decided to purchase the 2000 Marquis that I have now. However if the haze is on the surface, a furniture polish like "OZ" will remove it.

Gerald   

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 03:40:23 AM »
Are there any products available that can be used to treat this haze? I know it appears to be a result of the water based varnish use in 1999,2000. If the wood needs to be stripped and re-varnished is there any place in Florida that might be able to do this?

Larry, I have a friend in Sanford Florida who is a Master Cabinet Maker.  I don't know his prices.  He owns Sanford RV.  Let me know if you want his number.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH