Author Topic: Electric joey bed switch  (Read 5988 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Electric joey bed switch
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:48:19 AM »
Some days dont you just scratch your head and wonder just what the designer must have been smoking?
Our PT has side hinge doors  and several pass throughs.  The joey beds go clear through both ways and work off a switch in the door in the passanger side.  So .... if you want to get into the joey bed on the driver side you must open one door, go clear around and ope  the other door, then go to the passanger side door to operate the switch.  Thats right,  one switch and two doors so back and forth alot.  Closing up is the same in reverse.
So how dumb is that?
Anyone ever put a second switch in or do both have to be replaced with two two-way switches?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Electric joey bed switch
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:52:42 PM »
Engineers, especially automotive engineers, rarely have to do repairs on their designs.  Thus, they don't learn the value of accessibility. That's the conclusion I have come to.

Put in a second control switch and let the systolic and diastolic return to normal.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:57:59 AM »
Keith,

What kind of switch is used to control the piece? Does it power out and in as in a 3 way switch?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 06:49:08 AM »
Lee
the rocker switch is three position.  Out, In and stop.  Is that simply a new three way switch with a cross wiring plan or do you know?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
Lee
the rocker switch is three position.  Out, In and stop.  Is that simply a new three way switch with a cross wiring plan or do you know?
Not seeing the switch and this is a guess I would say it allows the motor to go forward and reverse. The switch is probably wired with the center hot so it will cause the motor to turn in either forward or reverse.
Where is the motor as I am not familiar with what you call a Joey. (Joey to me is a Dish Satellite item) It maybe as simple as adding a 3 way switch to the other side wired exactly like the first one.

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »
Ours has a remote that you can operate from anywhere.  It says Kwikee Power Slide on it.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Ed Dubois

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 06:20:25 PM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is a joey bed? I've never heard this term before and have trouble picturing what you're discussing?

Thanks

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:38:08 PM »
Ed,

I'm with you but I think it is a powered tray for the basement compartment, I think????

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 07:28:17 PM »
A Joey bed is a tray in the basement that is used for storage and slides in and out, some manually and some electrically.
Keith, I think the 3 way switch you are talking about is one that will operate a motor or electrical fixture from two different positions.  They have to be wired correctly and in the 120 volt world, both switches have to be 3 way switches.  That doesn't mean 3 position switch which is " Forward, Off, Reverse".   I am sure BCS or RV Outfitters can help you and most electricians.  I know that if you don't know what you are doing, you are going to cause yourself problems and I can't help you, as I only know what they are and not how to install a 3 way, 3 position switch.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Jeff Watt

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 09:23:11 PM »
For my power tray I have a remote like Mike has mentioned.

I don't know if it is a regular problem, but mine has acted odd a couple of times: When holding the retract button - tray going in - it usually stops and then goes in another couple of inches to its final/correct spot. However there has been a few times when it wants to keep going which then means it pushes on the diver's side door. One time it was wedged so tight (I couldn't open the driver's door) that I had to reach in and disconnect the slide from the track using the handle in order to move it back out.

Again, no rhyme or reason as most of the time it works great. 

Tim Westman

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 10:05:00 PM »
Keith,

I have a Newmar product with switches on both the curb and road sides so it can be done.  Obviously, you'll need two limit/lockout switches so you don't try to push the bed through a closed door on the other side which I assume you already have but otherwise the system appears simple.

Tim Westman