Author Topic: Roof Air / Heat Pump filters  (Read 3794 times)

Clinton n Mary Ann Anderson

• BAC Member
Roof Air / Heat Pump filters
« on: February 17, 2017, 10:30:56 PM »
Hi All, we have a 2009 Beaver Patriot Thunder, 3 roof Dometic heat pump / ac units;
so we dropped the decorative ceiling to access the two front units. (wanted to check the bolts holding the unit and clean filters) we found there are no filters, nor is there any place for one. I've been in contact with Dometic and they keep asking "what kind of return grill do you have" and I keep telling them there isn't a grill. This is a ducted A/C ceiling system covered by a decorative leather & wood trim figure 8.
Bottom-line shouldn't there be filters? Any one have photos?
2 photos attached - one showing the inside with the decor ceiling up and a close up of the front unit when the ceiling is dropped.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Mary Ann
2009 Beaver Patriot Thunder 45'

Joe Rhea

Re: Roof Air / Heat Pump filters
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 01:02:04 AM »
you get a thin piece of foam rubber from the rv supply the size of the return grill. When you close the grill it will hold the foam rubber in place. It is also known as washable filter.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:08:26 AM »
The Andersons - In our older Beaver coach we have the decorative ceiling pieces but immediately below each roof a/c there is a return grill built into the decorative ceiling piece with a thin washable piece of foam setting on top of the return grill.  If your PT does not have a return grill, then I would guess your a/c pulls its air from between the decorative figure 8 and the ceiling - just my guess - unless you see some other inlet for the air to be pulled into your a/c that is not shown in your pictures.  You may have to fashion a filter if you want one.  I have cleaned our filters once in the four+ years we have owned this coach, and the filters were not terribly dirty... but we do not use the roof a/c-heat pumps much.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 02:34:58 AM »
Mary Ann,

With my 06 Patriot Thunder it had a mesh type screens screwed to the ceiling covering the air intake on two of the units. The center one has a frame.  I just went and got 2 thin A/C intake filters from almost any store and screwed them in place and put the fold down panel up. No harm no foul!