Author Topic: Hurricane finally works  (Read 2652 times)

Greg Kamper

Hurricane finally works
« on: February 21, 2017, 05:01:34 AM »
My hurricane heater has not worked since I bought my motor home.(4 years in may) we took it to a shop in Bend last April and they replaced almost all of the parts and it worked for a little while but it smoked real bad and quit working  the first time we tried to use it. It would start, then after a few seconds and a lot of smoke the flame would go out. Today I removed the copper elbow and tried to start it, and it shot a flame out the bottom and the worked normal. So I connected my shop vac to exhaust pipe and sucked out a bunch of rusted corroded flakes and dust from inside the exhaust pipe. I tapped on the pipe all the way to the exit, and put my hand over the other end several times to increase the suction velocity. I was amazed at how much crud came out. I was able to re-use the copper elbow, but I need to get another one soon.it now works great, it doesn't smoke anymore either. I'm sure if I had done that right away I could have save me a lot of money and frozen nights. Just thought I would share in case others are having the same problem.
The following users thanked this post: Rick Mayer, Carol Moffett, LaMonte Monnell, Jerry Emert

Ron Johnson

Re: Hurricane finally works
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 12:10:52 AM »
I had basically the same experience with mine. This vacuuming\blowing of the the system is  a yearly maintenance item for me now .. good post!!

Greg Kamper

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 05:58:34 PM »
it will be for me now too!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 09:45:47 PM »
Two years ago we had our Hurricane completely rebuilt by ITR in Vancouver WA.  Since we weren't in the area we shipped it to Kevin Lambert and he did his magic on it.  It now runs reliably whenever we have needed it.  Yes, we paid a lot in shipping charges, but IMO it was worth it.

Fortunately, with the Comfort Hot system that Jim Rixen installed ~4 years ago we rarely use the Hurricane's burner.  We are fine using electric heat until the outside temps are ~<35F.  We had one 27 degree day in Corpus Christi in January and with both the Rixen system and the Hurricane, we were nice and toasty.