Author Topic: kitchen slide issue  (Read 5720 times)

David Privitera

kitchen slide issue
« on: February 24, 2017, 09:45:48 PM »
I'm having an issue with the mechanism for the kitchen slide hoses (2004 Monterey Newport).  When I open the slide the hose mechanism racks one way and when I retract the slide the hose mechanism racks the other way.  It racks so much that one of the wheel assemblies on the hose mechanism track is breaking.  I suspect there is an issue with the slide system that's causing the hose mechanism to rack but there's nothing obvious that I can see.  Has anyone had a similar issue?  Any ideas on things to look at?   Thanks.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: kitchen slide issue
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 09:27:36 PM »
When you refer to hose mechanism are referring to the sink drain hose?
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

David Privitera

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 11:32:40 PM »
sink drain plus hot / cold lines.   I'll try to get a picture of it to post.

David Privitera

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 12:14:11 AM »
There's a component that looks like the enclosure.  It's fastened to the floor on the bottom and on the top it's attached to a piece that slides in a track with rollers like in a track door.   As the slide goes out the hoses unwind I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

David Privitera

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 04:21:08 PM »
Enclosed is a picture of the hose retractor system for my kitchen slide.  On the top, there are 4 rollers that the hose assembly slides on.  The assembly is twisting to the right when the slide is retracted and to the left when the slide is extended, causing the two closest roller assemblies to snap. 

Has anyone seen this?  Any ideas on potential causes and fixes?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:01:35 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 06:46:08 PM »
I wish I could help you out David. My 2001 Contessa doesnt have a rolling system like that at all. My kitchen drain hose just lays on the floor and has enough length to move in and out with the slide.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 08:47:03 PM »
Dave,
The twist tension almost has to be originating in either the kitchen cabinets or where the hoses enter the fixed wall. If you haven't done so. have DW extend slide while you watch to see which end the twist originates on. That should get you headed in the general direction.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David Privitera

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:46:15 AM »
Thanks Steve.  I think the twist is coming from the fixed side which might mean the links in the flexible channel are binding.  I'll check that first and post what I find.

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »
I have a similar setup on my '05 Monterey. The rollers kept jamming and finally broke off completely. Part of the problem was because a metal arm which was supposed to move the roller mechanism was not properly aligned which put all the stress on the PVC sink drain pipe until the pipe sheared off.
I replaced the plastic sink drain, realigned the metal arm to do what it was supposed to do and repaired and replaced the four hanging roller assemblies. This repair worked for a short while until the rollers once again jammed and broke off. I've left it disconnected from the bottom of the pantry cabinet and it has for several years now rolled back and forth as it should and without the suspension wheelies.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

David Privitera

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 12:02:31 AM »
Hi Bob,   I had the same problem with the drain pipe shearing.  I tried to align and fasten the bracket, too.  Didn't work either.  Right now I guide the assembly in and out manually while my wife actuates the slide switch.   It's not to big a hassle to do it this way. 

I've noticed that the bottom of the flexible hose track is loose, where it fastens to the floor.  This also allows the track to rotate left to right. 

When it gets a bit warmer, I'll work on tightening the track bottom attachment and tweak the bracket alignment and keep you posted.

Thanks, Dave

David Privitera

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 12:07:55 AM »
another thought is to do what you did (disconnect the bottom completely so it slides), shim the bottom up a bit, put small wheels on the bottom plate and then remove the shim(s) so the assembly rolls on the wheels.   I'm going to go out and stare at it for a while and see what other thoughts come to mind... 

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
I'm not familiar with the contraption in question, as our slide doesn't use it, and without seeing its exact installation hands-on I may be suggesting out of irrelevance here.  But in lieu of wheels, perhaps laying down an appropriately sized sheet of "slick" plastic from TAP where the bottom would otherwise drag would suffice.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:15:34 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David Privitera

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
Good thought Joel.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 12:50:54 PM »
An 1/8" X 10" X 24" sheet of high density polyethylene (HDPE) is theoretically only around $10, and you may not need that much or that thick.  It's slick stuff, so wear would be minimal.  I know Ed Buker has used King Starboard for structural things too, as has my brother, and it came to mind;  but the HDPE may be best for this.

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 02:02:14 PM »
     Dave, the original concept that Monaco engineers came up with was to suspend the water and drain lines from an overhead track like used in a household closet. The trolley wheels slide back and forth in the track as the room moves in and out. What happens over time is the hoses tend to twist and "torque" the trolley wheels. Try cutting the ty-wraps and re-route the hoses to where they are inclined to move and test ty-wrap for clearance. Trial and error will get you there.
   Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6