Author Topic: power cord  (Read 2047 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
power cord
« on: February 26, 2017, 05:18:14 AM »
Today while breaking camp the power cord connector melted.  I was at an unfamiliar park so I used an external surge protector that tells me if the power post is good.  I had plugged into that for the night.  The next day my surge protector fried and the connector melted around one power leg.  I replaced it this evening and it was the Camco brand connector with the handle on the back.  The wire for the power leg had come loose inside and the arcing caused the meltdown.  All the screws inside had worked loose. 
I am posting this in hopes folks with this connector will inspect theirs regularly.  This unit is poorly made and seems inclined to fail.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:56:03 AM by Keith Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Murray, Jim Nichols, Bob Stone, Carol Moffett, Paul Meehan

Lee Welbanks

Re: power cord
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
Keith,
Your coach is a 07 PT, you should have a built in surge protector in your transfer switch. And as far as Camco plug ends IMHO they are junk, cheap crap and you are asking for a melt down if you us them in 50 amp service. I cooked the neutral out of one a couple years ago. Now all my power cord ends are Progressive Ind pieces.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: power cord
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 03:46:34 AM »
Thanks Lee for the confirmation.  I used a Camco again because its what was available.  Progressive ind.?  I will look into that.  When a 50 amp line is hooked to my motorhome and starts smoking I get visions of fried electronics.  Using this junk to carry that much power is a big risk.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!