Author Topic: Best way to Nashville  (Read 4635 times)

Steve Albert

Best way to Nashville
« on: February 26, 2017, 06:17:16 AM »
Would it be better to just take the 40 or the 10-20-30-40 from Ontario Ca to Nashville TN :)

Bill Schneider

Re: Best way to Nashville
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »
Steve,
You didn't say when you planned to travel, whether you were interested in the fastest, type of roads (Freeways, divided roads only) or most scenic. The answers to these questions would make a difference in the response you get from the forum. If I was traveling now, I would probably stay south along I-10 corridor due to potential weather issues. Once you get to Baton Rouge, LA you can head up to Natchez, MS and then take the "Natchez Trace Parkway" up to Nashville. I have driven this several times and the Parkway is a beautiful, easy drive.
Have a safe trip,
Bill

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 02:02:29 PM »
Steve,
Bill is right about potential weather related issues on I 40, but Nashville itself has the same problems. So if you can plan your trip for a window of good weather I 40 is shorter and faster if those items are important. However, Bill is also right about the Natchez Trace Parkway being a beautiful drive that everyone should take especially in the spring, but it is slow. So don't take it if you are in a big hurry.

Gerald   

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 02:13:07 PM »
Last year in June we ran I-40 all the way across, good road but you have to be watching the weather every minute. We had storms in front and some behind us threw Oklahoma and west Ark. Another fair route is I-10 to Tx I-20 through Dallas up to Little Rock, Memphis and to Nashville.
Just keep a close eye on the weather.

Steve Albert

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 07:39:26 AM »
I am in no hurry to get there, Planed to leave here the 3rd of May and only drive 5 hrs  a day and stop at any point of interest on the way and sight see.  :)

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 05:12:37 PM »
Another vote for the Natchez Trace Parkway.   I recall we stayed in a campground about half way up, but can't remember the name.  Here is a list: 

https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/campgrounds-on-or-adjacent-to-the-parkway.htm

On Edit:  BJ looked at this and remembered that we stayed at Tishomingo State Park.   All 41 feet of the Monterey fit!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:39:09 PM by Bill Sprague »

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 02:52:01 AM »
If you are going to Nashville via I-10 I would suggest that you stop at the university at Las Cruces and visit their museum there.  It is absolutely stunning to look at and read the geology and gaze at the beautifully finish petrified wood and what was made from the wood.  We spent about 2 1/2 hours just looking at those gorgeous pieces.  Lot of the stuff there was donated by one family.  It's really worth the time.
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Steve Albert

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info  :)