Author Topic: Hydronic heat system  (Read 4907 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Hydronic heat system
« on: October 15, 2010, 11:41:57 AM »
Recently Jim Rixxon did an upgrade for our Hurricane heat.  There is now a new heat radiator under the refer with a new fan.  Recently I noticed that when the old fan burned out it left a char mark on the bottom of the drawer which slides in over it.  This means the drawer was almost hot enough to combust.  Not good!
Part of the reason for the failure of the fan was that it worked over hard trying to push air through a radiator blocked with dust and dirt.  Jim said that these need to be cleaned out regularly with low pressure air gun and a vacuum.  With colder weather coming, I can tell you that just one good heat radiator has made a huge difference.  I cant wait to do the rest.

Keith
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:57:17 PM by 14 »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jay and Raylene Todd

Re: Hydronic heat system
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »
Excellent information and a great tip Keith. Thanks!

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:11:30 PM »
I had a '98 Patriot with a hurricane, and it drove me nuts.  I replaced almost every part in it.  I assumed by now every Patriot owner would have replaced such an unreliable heating unit.  Finally traded the Patriot because of that heater and delamination caused by that Girard awning that was not properly installed.  Lots of luck with the Hurricane.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:26:59 PM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 02:51:14 AM »
Tom,
I am sorry that you had so much bad luck with your Hurricane Heater. I have owned a 2000 Marquis with a Hurricane Heater for six years as a fulltimer and the only part that I have replaced is a fuel pump. The system is very simple in design and after the initial learning curve, I do my own annual service in about an hour at $0 cost.

Gerald

Ron Johnson

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
I've fulltimed in the Coach 3.5 yrs now and Wintered in BC twice. My Hurricane has 7000+ hours on it and as Gerald said after an initial learning curve I have found it easy to maintain. Having a separate hot water tank also provides more options. I have found that installing air conditioning filter material under the 'intake' registers slows down the dirt buildup in the radiators.