Author Topic: Air horn legal?  (Read 9228 times)

Al Lewis

Air horn legal?
« on: March 04, 2017, 05:39:47 PM »
I just took my Monterey in for the annual safety inspection required in Texas. The inspector gave me a hard time about the air horns factory installed. Said they were illegal. Eventually he gave me a pass. This is the first time I have ran into this issue. Has anyone else had this problem?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Air horn legal?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 05:53:41 PM »
Illegal in Texas?  Illegal in some states?  All states?  Air horns generally are illegal?  Or where yours are placed is illegal?  The inspector's brother runs a shop nearby and the inspector is throwing business his way?  Given the number of air horns "out there" one would wonder/doubt why/how they are illegal?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 04:56:56 AM »
Al,,Need more info here, what was/is illegal about your air horns according to the great state of Texas? In my trucking days I've ran across some real pita inspectors, but never a question about air horns other than do they work. Oh by the way they don't like the answer "yes" when asked do your air horns work? No sense of humor.

Joe Rhea

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 01:50:36 PM »

Train Horn Rules and Regulations

Train horns are specifically designed to be a loud warning at railroad crossings to prevent accidents. However, are they legal on other types of vehicles? The maximum legal decibel level for a car horn on a passenger vehicle is 100-110. A train horn has a decibel level of 130-150. As the train horn has significantly higher decibel level, what can be done?

All states have a line in their vehicle laws and regulations that states a car horn can not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound. Not all of them have that exact wording, but they all make the same point. However, some states make additional statements.
California

In California, a train horn can be mounted on a car but not used. On a semi-truck, it is allowed if it is attached to the air brake system, powered by the air from the brake system, complies with FMVSS standards 121 and 106, and has the appropriate certifications. If you are found to have violated those terms, you can receive a minimum $108 fine if there are no other violations or citations on your CDL.
Texas

In Texas, an annual inspection is required for all motor vehicles. If during the inspection, a train horn is found to be hooked up and able to be used as a regular warning, the vehicle will fail the inspection. It can, however, be hooked up on a truck as part of a commercial vehicle theft alarm. If the train horn is hooked up and used, you can recieve a citation for noise pollution and be held liable for any resulting accidents.

Read more: http://trainhorns.us/articles/are-train-horns-illegal-in-your-state/#ixzz4aSWy74Ol

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
Al stated that the horns are factory installed, so wondering what the deal is here? Why do they think the factory horns are not legal.

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 04:25:21 PM »
While our horns are loud, the train horns I have heard are indeed louder. I have always had reservations about being too near a driver and startling them with this horn, given it may cause an over reaction and have them jam on the brakes. I wonder if you could add a small valve and preset it with a limited air flow that is softer, not sure what the limitation is in lowering the noise level with air flow/pressure.

I would doubt that anyone really enforces this rule given they would have to measure the noise level at some distance in some calibrated specific way to prove compliance. Doesn't seem worth it given real issues like lights, brakes, tires that need safety checks.

Later Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »
One of the things I truly miss about downsizing from the Monterey to our tiny Pleasure Way is the air horns. 

William Ervin

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:11:43 PM »
Texas Transportation Code § 547.501. Audible Warning Devices -

(a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a horn in good working condition that emits a sound audible under normal conditions at a distance of at least 200 feet.

(b) A vehicle may not be equipped with and a person may not use on a vehicle a siren, whistle, or bell unless the vehicle is:

(1) a commercial vehicle that is equipped with a theft alarm signal device arranged so that the device cannot be used as an ordinary warning signal;  or

(2) an authorized emergency vehicle that is equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell that complies with Section 547.702.

(c) A motor vehicle operator shall use a horn to provide audible warning only when necessary to insure safe operation.

(d) A warning device, including a horn, may not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

This is what in the traffic code in Texas,  Inspection is a different animal.....  :o   A Train horn is very different from a Truck horn.  Truck horns are usually around 90-110 DB and train horns are required to be more than 120 db if I recall.   The inspector is either new and full of himself or just misinformed either way he's wrong, motorhomes don't have train horns they have truck horns.  There is probably a definition in the code somewhere but I'll let someone else find it.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:13:30 PM by William Ervin »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 11:38:59 PM »
Did I miss something, the post states "factory installed horns" where did train horns come from? On one of my trucks I installed a set of musical horns that were really loud, but they were separate from the air horns and the steering wheel horn. Never had a problem because they (dot inspectors) didn't know they were there. I had a couple of friends that had train horns on their trucks but all were separate from the roof mounted air horns so no problem because they didn't know they were there.
John law doesn't much like train horns as they are just plain loud.

Al Lewis

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »
I had the opportunity to observe an inspector check a big tractor truck at a truck repair place.  He tooted the air horn that sounded like mine.  In questioning him, he said train horns are not allowed.  Air horns ok.  He did mention "city horns".  I guess in town you should use a small horn but he did not test for one on the big truck.  He thought my motorhome might have one and might be wired in parallel with the air horns.  I don't think so.  Anyway I passed.  This is the first time someone has questioned the horn on this Monterey in the 13 years I have had it.

Thanks

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 10:30:29 PM »
Al, I think I would take a trip down to ye-old inspection station and start  asking questions about factory installed air horns. Could be the inspector that did you motor home didn't know what he was looking at. I've had a few roundyrounds with inspectors at truck scales, in calif they used to put all the rookies at the Banning west bound scales, what fun.