Author Topic: Tire air Pressure Monitors  (Read 5032 times)

Joe Rhea

Tire air Pressure Monitors
« on: February 27, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
I going to install pressure monitors on the coach and toad I think. The questions I have are:
Does it throw the tire out of balance with the weight of the sending units?
Is there that much advantage to the pass through sensors opposed to the cap style for the added cost?
Does anyone have a perticular brand or style they consider superior over the rest.
Thanks Joe Rhea

Bill Sprague

Re: Tire air Pressure Monitors
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 05:32:03 PM »
Joe,

I bought the Pressure Pro system when it was the only readily available choice.  It worked well for 6 or 7 years until the sender batteries started to fail.  I tried to take them off when we were parked for long periods to extend the batteries.

There was no tire balance issue on the car or the motorhome.  It caught two slow "nail hole" leaks in the car while we had it.

Joe Rhea

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:08:08 PM »
Bill
Is there a particular reason why you have not replaced it?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:36:18 PM »
We have the Pressure Pro system.  It works well except for one issue.  The senders on the four toad-tires don't always reach the receiver near the dash... they go in and out while on the road.  There is a repeater module which can be installed mid or rear coach to help with weak or long-range signals.  The good part is the Pressure Pro system will integrate with the Silverleaf VMS 440 in our dash for all twelve tires.  Another problem with the Pressure Pro system is the senders are sealed, so the batteries cannot be changed.  When their batteries get low I had to get new ones from Pressure Pro at $30 each.  They send a signal from the tires when under pressure, so, like Mr. Sprague, I remove them from the tires when I know we will be parked for two or more days.  Competing brands have changeable batteries.  Look around before purchasing.  We did not purchase this system.  It was on the coach when we purchased it 4 1/2 years ago.  I have changed all twelve senders once.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »
Joe, I have Tire Minder on my coach and toad. It comes with an amplifier that I installed in rear engine compartment so signal from toad is no problem. Also, batteries are replaceable. The only issue I have had is the batteries go dead once in a while. If you send the dead batteries back to Tire Minder they will replace them for free. You can also isolate the coach from the toad on the monitor so when you disconnect you can take monitor with you while driving toad. They make two models, one sold exclusively thru Camping World, the other model can be found cheapest on Amazon. Also, they sell extra sensors for your specific needs. Shop around on Amazon and E-bay and you will find what you need. Hope this helps, Frank.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
I've got Tire Safe Guard. It uses flow through sensors on the coach and non flow through on the toad. I added the booster to help acquire the toad signals quicker. W/o the booster it would sometimes take an hour to acquire the toad. Overall it seems to be a good unit but does alarm on  false overtemp readings once in awhile. I suspect a bad sensor but haven't done anything about it yet. Batteries are replaceable on all sensors. The monitor is portable so I can use it in the toad when not hooked to the coach.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:15 PM »
Bill
Is there a particular reason why you have not replaced it?
There were two reasons!  First was that it was $350 to buy new sensors with fresh batteries.  Second was that we traded down to the smallest, simplest motorhome we could find!

Bill

Joe Rhea

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »
Thanks to all for your input
Joe Rhea

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 10:00:09 PM »
Steve, on using the flow-thru sensors; Do they work well for you? I have Dually Valve Extenders (the bolt on kind) on my wheels and I wondered if the larger flow thru sensors will have enough clearance from the wheel to the valve extender? I wonder if I could bend the extenders a bit toward the wheel center to increase clearance?? Any issue with the flow thru sensors leaking air? Easy to air up if needed? Am thinking about the Tiresafe system.
Thanks
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 11:19:18 PM »
Bill,
Mine work fine. As the pictures show, I installed "u" extenders (Amazon) on the outer duals and straight line extenders on the inner (fun :).
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 12:02:33 AM »
Looks good, thanks Steve!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)