Author Topic: Death Trap?  (Read 5918 times)

Bob Bulot

Death Trap?
« on: March 14, 2017, 06:29:32 AM »
Ran into a potentially serious problem with the Marquis today.

First, let me say that I realize that this problem has a narrow application:  Those with the Onyx floorplan.

As you can see on the attached floorplan, this is essentially a "side aisler" - wherein you access the bedroom from the front of the coach by traversing a narrow passage between the curb side slide out (which houses a closet and the washer/dryer) and the bathroom.  When the slide out is open, there is plenty of room to get in to the bedroom.

When the slide out is closed however, the passage is effectively cut in half.  You can only enter the bedroom by turning sideways and squeezing through.

If you close the slide with the bathroom door all the way swung open to the left into the narrow space, it is trapped there by the slide, it cuts the passage in half again, and thereby makes it impossible to get out of the bedroom.

I was getting ready to move the coach, and had started the engine when I realized that I had left the bedroom slides open (It's hell to get old).  I walked back to the bedroom where the slide controls are, and closed both bedroom slides.  I then noticed that I had left the bathroom door open, preventing me from getting out.

The perfect storm was completed when I found out that (unlike my Monaco) the slides are wired such that they will close with the engine running, but will not open (the Monaco's slides won't open or close with the engine running). Once I closed the slide, I was trapped in the bedroom.

One of the bedroom windows is an emergency exit and if the problem had become life or death, I could have gotten out eventually.  The window is easily 7 feet off the deck, and is heavy.  An older person might not be able to manage it, or at best, could be injured falling while trying to climb out of it.

Fortunately, I had my cell phone and called my buddy to rescue me.  I'm sure you will be able to read all about it on his Facebook page tomorrow.

Seriously, an older person, in this situation, with no cell phone, might be really stuck.  This is a major design fault with this coach.  If you have an Onyx, be warned. 

The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Death Trap?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:34:42 AM »
Maybe owners of such traps should consider having that one or both rear slideout switches moved to a more forward wall.  Maybe not the wardrobe slide switch, as you then can't watch it move, alert to any obstacles or other issues.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:37:50 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

James Walker

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 08:06:32 PM »
Moving switches are a great idea but possibly you could parallel the existing switches in a more convenient position, leaving the old ones in place.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 11:15:08 PM »
I don't know that I'd leave the old one.  Someone could still forget and use it in another entrapment situation.  I'd remove the old switch altogether and plug its slot in some sort of aesthetic manor.  It's probably in a doublet switch panel set with the opposite slide.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:08:30 PM »
Joel and James,
Since the 06 Marquis that originated this post has multiplex wiring, relocating or adding another switch is not a simple do-it-yourself job. It might be a lot simpler to remove the ignition interlock or add it to the retract side of the system.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »
Adjusting the interlock indeed is a good option.  But I didn't think the slide out switches were part of (our era) multiplex system, Gerald.  They are rocker switches.  I don't have the diagrams in front of me, so forgive me if I'm mistaken about them not being multiplexed.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Watt

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »
 My 07 Patriot the slide out switches are part of the multiplex system, so they likely are on an 06 Marquis. The other thing which I see that is different form OP is my slides don't work when the engine is running.

Bob Bulot

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 11:21:23 PM »
Joel and James,
 It might be a lot simpler to remove the ignition interlock or add it to the retract side of the system.

Gerald

I agree that tampering with the multiplex system might be risky.  I would be willing to modify the ignition interface to prevent closing the slides under conditions that prevent re-opening them, if someone knows how to do that.  Beyond that, I was thinking of installing a door closer that would prevent the bathroom door from standing open.

Greg Kamper

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 03:50:15 AM »
I think the best solution is to have a decal made up that warns you to make the door is closed before putting the slide in... :P. Couldn't you also add another push button switch to either supply the switch with voltage or ground from the side of the switch that powers the slide in side of the switch? That way both would need to be pushed together and it wouldn't be activated accidentally.

Bob Bulot

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 09:34:15 PM »
When you get to my age, remembering to read the decal is no easier than remembering to close the $%#^ door before the slides.

As to the switches, they are not hard-wired switches, do adding/moving, etc. is probably harder than it looks.  Maybe someone else here can better describe the multiplex system used in these coaches.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 01:46:56 AM »
That was my thought also... you get used to seeing a decal, and easily ignore it when the time comes. 

On our '06 Monty, the slideout fuse is in the same cabinet over the toilet as the multiplex fuses and controller, but it's in a separate box of 12 fuses.  In that same box is the 10 amp fuse for the multiplex controller itself, and the box's power feed is off a junction of three 30 amp circuit breakers - 1 feed each for the two multiplex modules and the third feeds the separate fuse box. 

So at least on our coach the slideout circuit seems not really part of the multiplex, which is why the switches for all 4 slideouts are rockers, not backlit touchpads.  That's why I figured a guy might reposition the switch.

If indeed your switches are multiplex touchpads, it occurs to me that if the modules are in the bathroom cabinet, one could determine which connector on which module was for your slide's touchpads, then snip the wire(s), and splice a new wire that you could run behind the panel the short distance to the toilet room's outside wall, and add a new touchpad and escutcheon or move the existing one there.  Further consideration of the possibilities around that notion may prove to come up with a better ultimate solution relative to your specific layout.  The problem is that new pad units and escutcheons aren't cheap, so moving the old one and then covering the hole aesthetically comes to mind.  Also, I'd first check the multiplex manufacturer's site or call BCS as to the feasibility of doing any wire modification thereto.

Obviously if your boxes are elsewhere from ours, and not proximal to a site forward of the offending door, the above idea isn't worth much. 

Joel
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:03:56 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Bulot

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »
No, Joel.  I think we have the same basic setup.  You've given me an Idea.  I noticed that there is a switch marked "spare on the kitchen panel. Shouldn't be to hard to chase it down to the box and move the slide control to it.