Author Topic: Hydraulic hose C 13  (Read 6459 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Hydraulic hose C 13
« on: March 15, 2017, 05:44:27 AM »
In the engine compartment are two filters.  One is two part and aparently the primary fuel filter.
The second filter is likely the hydraulic filter as it has a hose from the large tank on the passanger rear corner.  The output hose goes over to the radiator bay and into a cooler.  This hose is sleeved and pressure fit onto a fitting attaching to the filter body. 
My question is how worried should I be that there is a leak (seemingly under pressure only) where the rubber hose and sleeve join the fitting. 
We are not in a position to wait for a shop appointment.  I put a hose clamp on it as the input side had one but this hose did not.  There are no drips but the dirt is caking  from the oil build up.
We are in Benson Az.

Thanks for any insight.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

Re: Hydraulic hose C 13
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:57:43 PM »
Keith,
From what I understand from your description, you are talking about a slight sweating at a low pressure hose connection in your hydraulic system. If that is correct, there is nothing to worry about. The condition is fairly common, and rarely develops into a problematic leak. I have a low pressure hydraulic hose that has been sweating at a fitting for years, and it has not bothered my enough yet to change it. However, if it starts dripping, a replacement hose is in order.

Gerald 

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:32:21 AM »
Thanks Gerald
The leak is  ad enough to get all over the filter and the hose but mostly caked dirt.  No drips.  Giving it further thought I realize that if it is mostly on the filter it could be the filter wasnt seated well enough.
How hard is the hose to find and does the system need purging after?
Thanks
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 12:34:00 AM »
Keith,

What you're looking at is the low pressure/return side of the hyd drive for the fan system. Mine sweats some and seems to make a mess with the dust and road dirt. I would just keep a eye on it and if it gets to leaking more have a hose house make up a hose for you. By the way the flare fittings on the ends are called JIC Flare fittings.
Here's a pic of the way mine is plumbed.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 04:29:30 AM »
Thanks Lee, that is the filter for shure but ours id shorter and fat.
What hydraulic fluid is that?  I have a tag that says they used Texaco oil and Texaco HD ramco something.  The 02 Marquis had more specifics about fluids and capacities.  The fluid used is clear and very hard to see on the stick!
I see that your hose fittings have  no hose clamps.  The right one had one on it and we placed one on the other hose.  Seems to have stopped the leak for now.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 05:35:32 AM »
What hydraulic fluid is that?  I have a tag that says they used Texaco oil and Texaco HD ramco something.  The 02 Marquis had more specifics about fluids and capacities.  The fluid used is clear and very hard to see on the stick!
I see that your hose fittings have  no hose clamps.  The right one had one on it and we placed one on the other hose.  Seems to have stopped the leak for now.
When I had the filter changed a couple of years ago they put Amsoil ATF in it.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 02:57:42 PM »
[/quote
Keith, They oil in mine is Texaco AW46 and is super clear and a little hard to see on the stick. The filter system is by MPFiltri element CSG-150A-25A which is way larger than what came on the coach, the techs at MP said that the orig filter was undersized for the system.  I spoke with the folks at MP about the bypass lifting and the tech stated that they will lift the bypass when cold, and as soon as the oil heats up the bypass button will stay down.
I thought about clamping the hoses but never got around to it, go figure!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 08:14:10 AM »
Ok so heres the update.  There are a few drops of fluid on the ground after a couple days of not moving.  The hose is definately sweating more and more.  Can this be caused in some part by the altitude?  Am I apt to lose this hose going over 8,000 ft mountains?
There is a number on the hose but it is not entirely readable.  It seems to read  ?? GA  ?? 09062106  Z4.  The 62106 part I am certain of but the rest is best call.  Anyone suggest a place in Tucson to have it replaced?

Thanks
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »
Keith,
Altitude is not an issue with hydraulic hoses, so I do not think that you have to worry about the 8,000 ft. elevation. The number on the hose is immaterial since it will have to be made to fit from a roll of hose by a hydraulic shop that will probably be using a different brand hose. I do not know the best place in Tucson to have it replaced, but you might give Fred Brooks (BAC member) a call because he is a RV technician who lives in Tucson. Although he does not do much chassis work, he probably knows a good source.   

Gerald 

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 06:30:08 AM »
Thanks Gerald and Lee.  There are alot of threads talking about a hydraulic hose giving way all over the toad.  I dont want to be the next one.
All the info is sure appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:20:15 AM by Carol Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 08:59:29 PM »
Lee, where did you deal with these folks and where do you find filters.  I found them online but Italy?  Bit of a drive!
[/quote
Keith, They oil in mine is Texaco AW46 and is super clear and a little hard to see on the stick. The filter system is by MPFiltri element CSG-150A-25A which is way larger than what came on the coach, the techs at MP said that the orig filter was undersized for the system.  I spoke with the folks at MP about the bypass lifting and the tech stated that they will lift the bypass when cold, and as soon as the oil heats up the bypass button will stay down.
I thought about clamping the hoses but never got around to it, go figure!
[/quote]
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »
Keith, Here is a link to contact MP, (888) 263-0090

http://www.mpfiltriusa.com/index.php/contact-us-usa/
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 10:40:05 PM »
So here's the latest.  That hose started seeping badly all over.  I was down nearly to the add line in the tank.  Found a place in Tucson via Google.  They replaced my line and filter and topped off the fluid all in about 90 minutes.  Could have not disconnected but went to lunch.  They even got the filter suggested by Lee W.  The oversize one.
Nice job Pirtek.
They will be a vendor at the Tucson rally so stop by and say hi to Matt.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 11:46:42 PM »
Keith,
In future try checking the Service Provider list on the AC Members Only board. Pirtek is listed there as a good provider based on member experience. Will add your kudo also.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Carol Moffett

Bob Bulot

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 04:13:15 AM »
You were smart to get that taken care of. 

I blew that hose on my 45' Monaco at 60 MPH on I-5 at the Oregon/Cal border some years ago.  Doing without a cooling fan is bad enough, but losing hydraulics also cancels power steering.  Turns out these big coaches aren't like cars:  When the P/S goes out, you simply don't steer.  I couldn't even make the coach pull to the side.  The gods were with me though, because the road curved to the left and I was able to get the coach straight into a pullout that happened to be at the apex of the curve. 

Happy Trails