Author Topic: Samsung RF 18 installer  (Read 21367 times)

Roger Rempe

Re: Samsung RF 18 installer
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 10:06:40 PM »
Orman, we had the same problem. I found this DIY site online http://imgur.com/gallery/otSiW
It worked and haven't had issues since. 
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 06:57:06 AM »
Our home GE I discovered was Samsung built, and this spring developed water pooling under the deli drawer that's under the crisper drawers.  The pool would then freeze and stick to the drawer bottom and the deli drawer wouldn't open. 

Online I found several approaches to the same fix the previous poster mentioned... replacing or augmenting the metal strip in the evaporator's drain port thats supposed to keep it too warm to freeze and plug up.  When the drain freezes the water overflows, runs down inside the wall and to the floor under the drawers. Using the original as a pattern I made my own simple strip out of aluminum sheeting, but with a longer "tail" that goes down into the port further than the factory one, and with fingers that wrap thoroughly around the heater tube.  It's worked fine since, so the fix does prevent the drain tube from freezing closed.  There was a small amount of gunk that I flushed out of the drain tube, so ice isn't the only possible plugging culprit.

Of course your leak could be from an entirely different source, but this one apparently has been a common malady with Samsung-built units.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:59:00 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 02:42:50 PM »

Of course your leak could be from an entirely different source, but this one apparently has been a common malady with Samsung-built units.

Joel

Seems legit... A malady with the salady..drawer.   ;D
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 07:58:12 PM »
After removing the "snap in" panel on the inside back of the fridge, exposing the evaporator, I poured hot water in the drain port.  This took a very long time since the port doesn't hold much, so you have to do it with an unplugged, unloaded fridge. I put the food in ice chests with ice bags, etc.  A person that's full timing would need to do the following before inserting a modified drip tube port heater strip, but otherwise you could wait to fix the strip after the Coach was in storage and the tube's ice plug had melted on its own.

You have to put towels around the drain port/funnel under the evaporator to catch and wipe overflow, and sop out cooled water from each previous application, then add hot water every 5-10 minutes until it eventually melts through the ice plug that's way down into the drain tube.  As I recall, a turkey baster is handy for squirting in hot water and sucking out cooled water.  When it finally gives and clears, you go may need to empty the drip tray under the back of the fridge. 

Getting the back panel to align and press back in place evenly was tricky too.  There are videos on YouTube that helped me.  This may assist getting you started as well:   https://www.searspartsdirect.com/article/how-to-get-rid-of-refrigerator-puddles.html

Don't try a hairdryer as it can easily warp plastic panels and mess up their fit and seal.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:35:17 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 09:50:24 PM »
We just had a defrost issue fixed at an in home installation and asked the installer about Samsung fridges for motorhome installation. Almost every fridge made has a "duckbill" rubber valve draining the defrost water from the freezer to the drainpan where it is supposed to evaporate. After a few years they all glue themselves shut as the rubber deteriorates and the water doesn't drain properly, it ends up in the bottom of the freezer as a sheet of ice, which then overflows onto the floor. They all require replacement. The reason for the valve is so moisture doesn't flow from the outside in humid weather to the inside of the fridge creating a hyper-frost condition. The manufacturers found that this valve wasn't necessary and caused too many warranty repairs and they discontinued the valve. Samsung is apparently one of those that did not. The hot ticket is to remove the valve BEFORE INSTALLATION so you avoid this problem. He also disliked the lack of support he got from Samsung on warranty repair, being left twisting in the wind with only a Samsung shrug in response. He recommended Whirlpool, also with the removal of the said valve before installation. YMMV. I'm looking for the Whirlpool equivalent of an RF 18 to replace our old fridge.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 10:48:19 PM »
Be also aware that Samsung builds for other brand names, like GE.  I think Whirlpool and LG are not among those.  When I tried to repair and ultimately replace the icemaker in our GE is when I discovered all the Samsung parts.  Then while shopping units in stores, you can tell which makes are actually Samsung by the similar icemaker designs.  Whirlpool, LG, and perhaps others have different and probably better designs.

I had to replace a capacitor on the circuit board in a faulty TV converter box a few years ago.  Guess who made the bad capacitors.  Better quality ones were available as replacements, thank goodness.  You can tell that with time and experience I've migrated away from anything made by Samsung;  but ferreting out who made any other brand's internal parts can involve some effort.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »
    Hi Bruce,
 Found your E-mail in my spam folder, not sure why. Whirlpool makes a 20.5 French door but it was discontinued at Lowes and Home Depot. It was available at other locations for 2000.00 bucks. Model # WRF540CWBM. Let me know.
   Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Doug Till

• BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »
If there is anyone considering replacing their Norcold refrigerator, I would highly recommend Fred Brooks in Tucson, AZ. He removed our Norcold 1200 and installed a new Samsung RF18 residental refrigerator in our coach last month. He did an excellent job! We are very pleased with wood trim he installed around the refrigerator. The trim matches the rest of the cherry wood in our coach. Now I don't have to worry about the potential of the Norcold catching on fire and being one of those guys who have to say "Could Have" -"Should Have"!
Doug & Sarah Till
40' 2003 Marquis-Ruby, C12 505 HP