Author Topic: Rv Insurance  (Read 9500 times)

Roy Lewis

Rv Insurance
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:06:09 AM »
Hi folks, we are fulltimers in a 02 Marquis Tourmaline 40 non tag. We recently received our insurance renewal notice through National Interstate and were greeted with quite a substantial increase. This is somewhat of a suprise because we have no tickets and no accidents in over 30 yrs. I am posing this question. Is this a national rate increase for fulltimers or is a good shopping trip in order. Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Bill Schneider

Re: Rv Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
Roy,
I have Nationwide through Overland Insurance (one of our sponsors). I have a similar excellent driving record. I just renewed my insurance this last week and there was also a significant increase. I was somewhat prepared for a large increase based on the article Ron Jarvi wrote for the recent Beaver Tales.  Based on Ron's article, I guess I am fortunate to be "Grandfathered in" with Nationwide. If you haven't read the article, read it and it may give you an understanding on what is going on in the insurance industry. Ron does a good job of checking for rates. Unfortunately, the combination of high end coaches and being full time presents a problem for some Beaver owners.
The value you give for your coach has a significant impact on what your rate will be. Reevaluate your coaches value each policy period and you may be able to lower your renewal rate. I was guilty of not paying attention to this and my policy kept going up as the real value of my coach went down.
If you give Ron or Travis (Overland Insurance) a call, they are very helpful.
Bill
The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray

Dan Murphy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »
Roy,
This issue has been discussed on the forum many times and sadly there is no consensus about where to go for insurance.The BAC has had an arrangement for many years with Overland Insurance whereby good advice was given and I understand favorable rates were obtained and the BAC was also able to benefit.

There are many factors to consider in purchasing motorhome insurance and there are many pitfalls also.The underwriting criteria from the insurance carriers is designed naturally to select the most desirable risk for THEM. They do not want to assume too much risk and they do not want to pay any claims.It is unfortunate that individuals are not underwritten on their own merits and risks but they are grouped together in a sort of "class" and underwritten as a group.This form of "class underwriting" does not favor us.

You may see vastly different rates based on your age,financial score,driving record,state or county residence, or other factors.I have heard many stories of people obtaining wildly differing quotes on the same age and type of motorhome. I do understand that many times these rates may be based on how you answer certain questions asked of you like where you reside and how you use your motorhome and how much is it worth and how do you want it to be reimbursed if you should suffer a loss.

It would be wonderful if all these factors could be discussed and coverage arranged based on each individuals risk and usage but that will never happen,
You must be careful how you answer all the questions as you shop and compare rates from different companies. Yes, I would encourage you to shop around and compare.

All companies and all insurance agents are not going to offer insurance on a motorhome.They are too expensive to repair and there is an inherent risk that is adverse to the company seeking to make a profit on the sale.The insurance company is all about making a profit not really being your friend.Chances are very good if you have loss you may be cancelled or your rates increased.

Since all motorhomes are kind of grouped together into a "class" if the group suffers from bad experience then the entire Class or group will see rate increases. This may not seem fair but it is the way the world of insurance works.

There is no easy answer to your question but I would surely seek as many quotes as I have the patience to obtain and compare "apples to apples" as I shop. Always tell the truth on any application you may sign but don't "volunteer" too much information that is not specifically asked for on an insurance application.
It is the actual policy that will determine coverage in the event of a loss not what any agent says or promises so read your policy and be aware of all exclusions and limitations.

I believe the marketplace to be very tough right now and I would encourage all to make sure your limits of liability are adequate and use high deductibles and be realistic in the valuation of your motorhome.On my own policy there is no exclusion if I don't own a house and there is no mention of if I "full-time" or not.There is no mileage mentioned or days on the road discussed. I insured a motorhome at an agreed value that was reasonable and I used a high deductible.

Every situation will be different and we all live in various places but what I am trying to say is be careful as you shop and make yourself as desirable as a risk as you can be. Offer the agent or company as much of your insurance business as you can. Be willing to change your auto or your home even if it costs a little more.Use a relatives or a good friends address if possible.

Don't get caught up in the physical damage part of the equation and make sure your personal liability is adequately covered.Many times a "stand alone" personal liability policy can be arranged that may cover you for that exposure while you are traveling and you only need to cover the "auto liability" on the motorhome.This may be of interest to some shoppers.

I have rambled here and I apologize.I hope some of the rambling may be helpful.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:22:26 PM by Roy Warren Co-Admin »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Murray

Roy Lewis

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for reply! I have quotes coming from Overland today. I appreciate all the insight!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 09:14:17 PM »
Roy, I have National Interstate through Overland, or did until recently. Ron had called me prior to mine renewing and told me that National Interstate wont be writing policies on RV's in a year so I changed to Safeco Insurance on his recommendation. But I am not full time yet!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Roy Lewis

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 02:53:40 PM »
Thanks to everyone on the replies, I have some background to proceed!

Dale Christensen

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 08:49:43 PM »
I have been considering Insurance options for my 2005 Monterey. USAA linked me to Progressive which appears to be a reasonable company, but expensive. Studying market options is confusing and scary. All the companies gladly take your money, but when it comes to claims, not so much. I have seen some bone chilling testimonials and reviews regarding how companies have shafted their customers. I offer this comment because our forum tends to focus on insurance costs as opposed to acceptable claims recovery. Any thoughts or insight will be much appreciated. Note, my current costs are running at $1800 per year and Progressive is using market replacement for RV valuation. Considering adding glass coverage which will add another $200. If we go full time that will add $300, but with some additional benefits.
I look forward to any and all comments.
Thanks,
Dale

Doug Allman

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »
We recently purchased a 2017 Entegra Cornerstone. In talks with Ron Jarvie we learned a lot about what was going on with LLC's and so forth. It boiled down to this for us based on the following that Ron presented and our Michigan agent checked and verified.
1. If you have an LLC you had better have insurance thru that state OR you actually do not have insurance you think you have.
2. If you carry an umbrella for liability you had better have that umbrella from the same carrier in the same state as your coach is insured in, or you do not have an umbrella in effect you think you have.
3. If you are in LLC but insure in state that requires ins agency to submit twice yearly vehicle information that they insure to sec of state and they find no licensing data you are going to get a not so friendly letter. In most cases they go for treble the sales tax you did not pay and then there are the license fees.

We were not so fond of Rons information but as we checked he was found to be very correct.

We did settle the dust with leaving the LLC and licensing in Michigan where we live and are insured thereby keeping all our insurance in tact.
For full timers which we are not you may want to council with Ron so what you actually have is actually enforce.

SAFECO is what Ron quoted us and when we referred this to our Michigan agent they also carried SAFECO. Rate was same from both agency's at just less than $1600.00 annually.
The following users thanked this post: Michael Rump

Dan Murphy

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 04:28:15 PM »
Doug

Kudos to you for doing this research. This was one reason we chose not to pursue the LLC route when we purchased our Beaver. Im happy you got some straight answers from each of these insurance agents.

Have found Safeco to be a very fine insurance company.I represented them for many years and I believe they are now owned by Liberty Mutual Ins.

We have insurance on all our vehicles through Auto-Owners Insurance Group which is a Michigan domiciled company and we have been very happy with the premiums and the claims service for over 25 years.

Doug Allman

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 04:39:18 PM »
Dan,  We also have all Auto Owners in Michigan and our agent was an Auto Owners employee prior to buying an Agency in Traverse City from agents that retired. Ron gave us a lot of bumps in our usual road but in the long run I believe we educated a few including ourselves and got it right this time.

From what I am hearing the states are doing a lot more investigative work and with the insurers having to provide data to the state they find the no match with plates versus insurance and that triggers some action - especially with the value on a coach purchase.

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »
Doug,

Thanks for the information. Timing was perfect as we are in the process of reviewing our RV insurance. 

BTW: Was you quote for "Occupied less than 150 days or 250 days a year?

Currently with Good Sam's, but Ron quoted us a Michigan Safeco policy which seems competitive. 

Never fun, but a necessity!

Regards,
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 02:53:51 PM »
Doug, well said and traveling the country full time has opened the Atherton's mind
starting last November with medical issues with Wife and 1200 miles from Primary
medical Doctor. Second approved Camp Grounds stay, reguardless what kind of hook
up and electrical connections boon docking is the freedom of many RV people like ourselves,
Doug bringing  up private membership for emergency services and insurance providers to
cover this service is something that never crossed our minds. A person does not understand
everything that has to be covered with insurance in today's world. Great piece of information
and thank you Doug. Dave And Pat Atherton

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
I just renewed my insurance with Hartford/AARP.  The rate from last year is quoted at $361 cheaper for this coming year... last year was $2,110, this coming year is $1,749.  Our insurance covers three vehicles - our 2004 Marquis, my 2002 Avalanche which we tow, and Leslie's 2013 Ford Edge.  I need to look into bundling the auto, house, and rental duplex coverages to see how much can be saved.

I would like to hear your opinions on getting an umbrella policy and what one would cost.  I think a $1 million umbrella policy would cost another $200 to $300 - might be a good idea.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »
David,
We've got an umbrella policy with The Hartford. I would not be without one. Cost wise, your estimates are low but that may depend on number of vehicles, etc.
Allstate had cheaper Umbrella rates but  their auto rates were higher so we came out better overall with Hartford. RV is covered via Overland.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dan Murphy

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
David
The name "umbrella policy" kind says it all. You don't want to get caught out in a legal rainstorm without your Umbrella Policy. There are ,however, some things to consider before purchasing an umbrella.

First of all----how much insurance do I need to protect my assists??

Can I buy  underlying auto and home policies with sufficient limits of liability to protect my assists without needing an umbrella?? For instance-- If you buy or own an Auto policy with a $1 million dollar limit----do you need another million on top of that amount??

Also---in every umbrella policy there is a section or clause that defines "underlying limits of liability" what they means is an Umbrella policy will not even respond to a claim until the underlying limit has been reached----so----you must make sure your underlying auto or RV policy has these sufficient limits first before you even consider an umbrella.If not then you will "been the hook" for the difference between what you should have vs what is required before the umbrella kicks in. Many times this will increase you cost because many people do not carry sufficient limits in the first place that will satisfy the requirement.

The loss ratio for umbrella policies is very low and the claims made against umbrellas are few.But, if you are a person with large assists to protect then you are certainly a candidate for an umbrella insurance policy.