Author Topic: Samsung Fridge Latch  (Read 11033 times)

Dick Simonis

Samsung Fridge Latch
« on: March 22, 2017, 08:26:55 PM »
I just want to pass on what I did for a door latch on our newly installed RF18 fridge.

After some research I picked up this latch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKFIICE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First I tried mounting it with some double sided foam tape figuring there wasn't going to be that much pressure on the door.  Not one of my better ideas and removing the tape was a b*&h of a chore.  Finally decided to just use the mounting screws which worked quite well.

To hold both pieces in place I used this tape which is very thin and not very sticky but sufficient for the purpose.  One the parts were in place just drilled some holes and screwed them in place.  Very satisfied with the outcome.  I saw no need to be concerned about the freezer door since it latches in place by design.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4BR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:28:33 PM by Dick Simonis »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Samsung Fridge Latch
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:13:58 PM »
Dick,
Don't trust the latch on the freezer door. If you hit a bump and happen be going around a curve, it can come open. That's when I decided to use a bungie cord on the freezer and a velcro strap around the reefer door handles when traveling. No more problems.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:19:15 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Steve.  I'll keep an eye on it but at least nothing will spill if it does open.....give Pat an excuse to stretch her legs anyway.

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 04:02:51 PM »
I had a Samsung installed and the installers used Push-To-Close Cabinet Catch by Southco for the fridge doors. They seem To work well and do not add difficulty to the operation of the fridge doors. and are out of sight. I know that they come in 5LBS and 10 LBS pull. I do not know which they used but I can see if I can find out if anyone is interested. 

Just a thought.
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 04:56:51 PM »
I like those grabbers latches.  If I have an issues with the freezer door like Ed mentioned I will go this route.  Especially since I already have some in spare parts left over from my PT.

Laurel Moore

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 12:03:29 AM »
You have the correct double door latch,but you you need to use pop rivets, mount it between the doors. The heavy duty draw latchs will work on the freezer door.
Laurel Moore
2009 Beaver Contessa 43ft
Toad 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Bob Jae

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 12:37:15 AM »
Here is what I did to secure the freezer door, we pull it when we arrive at CG and hang it on a suction hook inside the refrigerator.  I used all stainless steel hardware.  I tapped the hinge for the 10X20 machine screw.  We use a velcro strap on the refrigerator handles, no unwanted openings in over a year.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 09:11:35 PM »
Here is what I did to secure the freezer door, we pull it when we arrive at CG and hang it on a suction hook inside the refrigerator.  I used all stainless steel hardware.  I tapped the hinge for the 10X20 machine screw.  We use a velcro strap on the refrigerator handles, no unwanted openings in over a year.

We've been using this approach for the past 5 years with our Samsung and it has worked well.  We also use a Velcro strap on the fridge handles.  Simple and low cost.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 12:35:28 AM »
I personally don't trust those Southco latches.  The male parts break too easily, always near the weak point - the screw hole.  They use the small size on all the drawers and cabinets in the coach, and I lost count how many I've had to replace.  Monaco used the heavier duty version on the larger things, like the wardrobe doors, but I've even had one or two of those go belly up.  It's a matter in that case of getting the door perfectly lined up so it catches easily.  I've had heavy-loaded kitchen drawers slide/crash open on curves, taking out drawer slide screws in the process, requiring slide reinstallation on both drawer sides;  the small male latch was the culprit.  I'd hate one of your fridge doors to open on a curve because a weak plastic latch had cracked unnoticed around one of its fasteners.

For the fridge I'd use the heavier version - it is JR Products #70445 and is identified by its cross-hatched side reinforcement;  the light-duty #70465 has no cross-hatching.  They, JR Products, are the originators of the latch - it is commonly now branded Southco and others.
http://jrproducts.net/index.php/catalog/load_product_list/Hardware/Cabinet%20Hardware/

They are spendy for what they are, and not every RV parts dealer out there on the road has them.  So I keep a couple in reserve, replacing broken small ones with the stronger one as they break - the plastic is a tad thicker around the screw holes.  The holes are spaced slightly differently though, so some fudging with fasteners in existing substrate holes may be needed.  Both versions can use the same female catch, so that part may need only minor alignment tweaking, not new holes.  Wood is one thing, but screws/rivets in your fridge could present a line-up issue if you didn't use the heavy-duty male ones to begin with and need to switch later.  By the cross-hatch pattern, it looks like Jim has the better male latch.

Regardless, to mitigate breakage the screws can't be too tight or too loose, and the catches have to line up well.  Just as importantly, the family needs educating re. treating the fridge (and other) doors respectfully when opening and closing.

-Joel
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:37:46 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat