Author Topic: INSTALLING WIFI RANGER and CELL PHONE BOOST  (Read 4286 times)

KC Snellgrove

INSTALLING WIFI RANGER and CELL PHONE BOOST
« on: May 01, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »
GOOD MORNING MY FRIENDLY BEAVERS! ;D. I would like any information you have the following electronics, whether they are worth installing, is there another brand / type you recommend and who would I ask to do the installation?

WeBoost Drive 4GXRV for cell phones. WiFi Ranger Sky Pro Pack or WiFiRanger EliteAc is for internet?

Thanking you all in advance. I look forward to your comments. If there is any additional recommendations or comments please do not hesitate to post.

See you down the road.

Bryan Schmidt

• BAC Member
Re: INSTALLING WIFI RANGER and CELL PHONE BOOST
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:35:00 AM »
KC:

You might want to try a PM to Joel Weiss here on the Beaver site, as he lists in his post closing as being the "WiFiRanger Ambassador".    From the investigation that I did on both of those products last year, to me, they both looked like winners, but still a bit pricy.

I have an old Jefatech wifi extender (circa 2007) which still works, but is somewhat a hacker's chore to set up at each CG..

2005 Montrery 36' Ventura IV
Cat C9
Towing a Pathfinder
Navigated by 2 cats

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »
I am, indeed, a roving WiFiRanger ambassador to the RV community.  Either the SkyPro or the EliteAC should serve your needs well.  Which one you select is as much as anything often driven by which one is easier to install in your application.  If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me via this thread or PM.

I always explain to potential customers that devices such as those sold by WiFiRanger can improve your ability to connect to park wifi, but they can't change an overloaded park wifi with insufficient bandwidth into one that works well.  When combined with a cellular amplification system they provide the best internet connectivity you can buy.

jeffprupis

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 03:34:26 AM »
I for one can recommend WeBoost. Wouldn't be without it. CG WiFi is at best marginal. With our WeBoost we can surf, stream & download anywhere there is at least 1-2 bars. Our WeBoost ups it the 4g. A WiFi booster will do nothing to improve the quality of the CG signal, all it will do is let you get a better slow internet IMHO.

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 01:11:48 AM »
Joel THANK YOU kindly for the information. Do you sell and / or install devices? If so please let me  know. If not where would I go to purchase and have these devices installed.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 03:36:19 AM »
Joel THANK YOU kindly for the information. Do you sell and / or install devices? If so please let me  know. If not where would I go to purchase and have these devices installed.

No, I don't do any installations myself.  The devices themselves can be purchased from the WiFiRanger online store: http://wifiranger.com/shop 

Almost any RV technician should be able to install a WiFiRanger.

Keith Cooper

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »
I have a Wilson 460108 installed in the coach, which is in essence a WeBoost 4G-M (Specifications are identical in the two units). The re-branding was done to allow for Canadian certification.When we had the Norcold Refrigerator replaced last year we had an additional outlet  added to the overhead cabinet above the dining area and adjacent to the refrigerator. We tied it to the old Norcold outlet.  A one inch access hole was added between the cabinet and the space above the refrigerator. I then moved and mounted both the Wilson Cellular booster and the Wifi Ranger Go2 in the cabinet space. The external antennas for  both units now run through the old Refrigerator roof vent to the external antenna's. A twelve inch square metal ground plane was  added about five feet aft of the refrigerator roof vent for the cellular booster. Dicor lap sealant was used to attach the ground plane to the roof. Next the magnetic antenna was attached to the center of that ground plane. the only other change I have made was to replace the internal omni-directional hershey bar antenna with a  100 degree directional desk-top antenna. this change helps minimize oscillation and extends the range within the front of the coach. When we are rolling down the road I use an Ipad Air 2 4G as a WiFi hotspot for our Wifi Ranger Go2. The Go2  provides a wireless Lan for all of the other devices in the coach. To extend our Wifi rage I added an external WiFi Ranger Elite. It is powered by the Go2 through the refrigerator vent. Significantly extending both WiFi range and throughput speeds. 

If you are looking for someone to do the install for you I would suggest  Jeff at Bend RV or Jim Sizemore at RV Outfitters. In addition I am sure this could be done at Beaver Coach Sales.