Author Topic: Kit of Battery Cables??  (Read 2233 times)

Mike Wild

Kit of Battery Cables??
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:45:35 PM »
Another of my goofy questions: I want to replace all of the cables that connect my batteries in parallel. 2000 Marquis Amethyst with the 6 house and 2 chassis set up. Googled around and couldn't find a source for a set of cables. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Kit of Battery Cables??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:50:32 AM »
Mike,
There may be but I'm not aware of any source for them. I've made them up myself when I've needed a new one.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 05:03:44 AM »
Mike,
No one will have a kit containing all the cables you need because there too many variables in battery bank configuration in motorhomes to make selling a kit practical. However, most large auto parts stores that deal with heavy duty truck or marine applications will make cables to your specifications or you can do like Steve and make your own.

Gerald 

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 05:28:24 AM »
First question: why do you want to replace all your cables? Are they corroded? Like Gerald stated you will have to have a shop make them up or do them yourself.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »
      Hi Guys,
  Having the same issue on my own coach. The lugs the manufacturer used when fabricating the cables used "open" end lugs which exposes the cable ends to corrosion. Over time the corrosion migrates up into the copper strands inside the insulation. Cleaning the connections does not fix this condition. Undo resistance from this condition raises havoc with the inverter/converter which mis-interprets the true state of charge and battery condition. The original big black Freedom 20 charger was notorious for boiling batteries because of dirty battery terminals.
     When replacing the lugs, use "close ended" cable terminals. Before installing the terminals, slide a piece of heavy duty heat shrink tubing over the cable then crimp the lug. Position the heat shrink over the shank of the lug then use a heat gun or torch to seal the lug to the cable. Corrosion is limited to the connection only. Use anti-corrosion felt pads under the terminals and the red sealant spray on terminals. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Bryan Beamon, Jim Nichols