Author Topic: Adjustable suspension / shocks  (Read 4755 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Adjustable suspension / shocks
« on: March 27, 2017, 03:45:08 AM »
Our PT has the adjustable shocks.  The manual says that the small associated red light co es on with the key and goes out.  If it doesnt go out then call Monaco.  Our red light only goes out when we are stopped.  Since Monaco no longer serves Beaver, what might the problem be?  The book says it defaults to sport mode and we are going toward Ariz so there is some concern.  Lol  Ì-40 is a treasure!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
Re: Adjustable suspension / shocks
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 01:18:22 PM »
Keith,
Having similar problem for the last 5000 or so miles. 1 shock had a leak replaced that one which resulted in warning light temporarily going out. I was fortunate enough to have purchased 4 replacement shocks some time ago... should have bought more. Bilstein no longer makes or stocks these shocks. I have not been able to locate someone to rebuild the shocks. There is a company that makes a replacement for the adjustable shocks but you will loose the ability to adjust. Source Engineering in Oregon.
http://sourcerv.com/ 
I ordered a complete set of these shocks but the mounting holes would not fit my coach without shimming and grinding. I chose not to replace them and am now just replacing shocks one at a time. Source took them back. If you order these shocks be sure to measure ALL of your mountings and send them to Source so they can be sure to send you the correct size. Evidently Roadmaster was not uniform in producing a consistent mount. I have the Roadmaster S chassis. I am fortunate to have a family chassis repair shop here in Tennessee and I will eventually have to replace all shocks but I will send the measurements to them first next time.
Sorry  I know this is not a great solution but just thought I would relay my experience.
Steven Link
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 02:16:07 PM »
I was looking a buying a PT with these shocks and was concerned about the costs and availability. I spoke to a service center I think, either BCS or Bend RV Repair They indicated that they replace them with a KONI shock just disabling the auto adjust feature from the cockpit. At the time they said that most people did this because the cost of the adjustable shock was so high and the benefit of the adjustable over the KONI was negligible. Don't know about the dynamics of changing just one though.
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »
     Hi Keith,
    Much discussion and many threads concerning this subject. I ended up putting on Koni's on my coach after Wife said fix the porpoising effect on the front end. Great shocks, my only comment is they are a little stiff for the first few minutes of driving until they warm up.
        Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jeff Watt

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:20:11 PM »
Keith, Steven:

How many miles do you have on your coaches? I have 43k on mine and have not experienced any problems yet with the adjustable shocks. (knock on wood).

Jeff

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:13:03 PM »
Jeff, we dont have any porpising or other problems yet but the light stays on while driving.  We have 112,000 mi.

Fred, Konis sound like the solution.  You had the adjustable shocks on yours?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:24:23 PM by Keith Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 01:46:37 AM »
Jeff,
I have 98,000 on my '09. Ride is still impeccable when compared to other coaches. ( I have driven new Foretravel, Newell, and Prevost coaches and they don't ride any better than my Marquis. I hate to give up the adjustable Bilsteins but will have to eventually if I keep this coach. I spoke with the techs at Bilstein  to ask why they quit producing these shocks and it was because of the proverbial 'lack of market" They had a few in stock 6 months ago but they are gone now :(
Fred, Jeff, Keith: I have read all the replacement shock posts but Koni does not seem to make a replacement for my '09 coach. They do make replacements for the magnum and '07 and older Roadmaster coaches. If anyone knows of a Koni replacement (for an '09) please let me know. I still think the Source shocks are a good option so if anyone uses them please post.
Sidenote: I think the only way to read the error codes for the Bilstein shocks is with Monaco's (Intellitec) Cadet Software which no one seems to have???
Steven
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 08:26:40 AM »
Seems like Bilstein  should make this right.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:27:52 PM by Keith Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »
So here is an update.
  I had reason to check the spade fuses in the electric Bay.  In the process I pulled the fuse for the shocks.  It was good so I reinstalled it.  This seemed to reboot the controller and the red light is out.  We are heading out shortly to drive a distance so we will see if the light comes on after driving awhile.
Switching to a softer suspension would have been nice in Arizona on  I-40
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 03:13:00 AM »
I pulled the original shocks and have the Koni's so far I like them on our 06 PT we didn't have the adjustable so I don't know much about them I am still running the Bilstein on the rear drivers and tags
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13