Author Topic: Need new AC unit.  (Read 7670 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Need new AC unit.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 10:31:18 PM »

[/quote]
Good question: Which burns more diesel:  Generator running Aqua Hot electric heat? or generator running heat pump? Or Aqua Hot diesel?
[/quote]
What I meant to say was that we charged the batteries and had heat from just the genny.  Needed the generator regardless!
Best of luck regardless.  Let us know what you find for pricing.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bob Bulot

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 03:57:07 AM »
Thanks Gerald.  I really appreciate your input, as with everyone who helped here. 

I found two new 15K BTU Penguin II's without heat pumps for $950 each, including tax and shipping.  I'm sure these will make W/Wife happy, which should make for a great summer.

Bryan Schmidt

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
Bob:

Now that is been a few months, how did your recent A/C swaps go?   

We will be swapping out at least one, if not both, of our orig installed 630516 units this month.  You also mentioned in one of your orig posts that you rarely, if ever, use the unit's heat pump/strip feature, as we also do not use, the DW was very interested in what non-heat pump model you settled on and how you both like the new units now.   

We are looking at a few Penguin II models, the 641916 being the primary one right now, which can be purchased for $875-$950 range, not including the new LCD single zone thermostat.

- Would you share what model Penguin II A/C you chose to replace your failing 630516 units?   

- How would you compare the performance & operrational running noise of the 2 new units to your remaining installed orig 630516 unit? 
      Are the new units a little to a lot quieter running?   
      Do you notice any/several increases in efficiency, either in colder air temps, more air flow, shorter cooling time, less run time, etc?
      Any noticeable reduced electrical usage, less start up surge, etc?

Any other actual swap recommendations that you can share would be greatly appreciated also..

Thanks

Bryan
2005 Montrery 36' Ventura IV
Cat C9
Towing a Pathfinder
Navigated by 2 cats

Bob Bulot

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 05:25:26 PM »
      Hi Bob,
   If the coach came with 2 thermostats then proceed. Make sure that the technician that replaces the rear air conditioner that he "sets the dip switches" on the PC board to match the existing settings on the old air conditioner so aqua hot zones won't get messed up and center air (if equipped) gets lost. Love your sense of humor keeping your Sweetie happy!
       Regards, Fred

New AC's installed and running great.  Replaced two rear units and installed new model thermostat to run them.

The confusion that came up relates to the front AC which was not replaced.  Earlier, I specifically asked Dometic tech if I could use the new style thermostat on the older front unit also.  I Was told specifically that I could, but would have to install a new control board on the old AC for this to work. so based on this, I bought a second new model thermostat and the control kit for the front AC.

When the installer arrived he called the technician line at Dometic, and was told that, I had received bad info, that you could not install a new control board on an older AC unit and that the new style thermostat will not work with anything but late model AC's.  The control kit is designed for the opposite:  To make new model AC's work with the older 5 button thermostats. 

I now have a firm grip on a $50 control kit and $40 second new-style thermostat.  Whacky Wife is not happy.  Look for great deal on these items coming soon on eBay. >:(

The following users thanked this post: Bryan Schmidt