Author Topic: Hot Skin  (Read 6958 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Hot Skin
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 05:59:29 PM »
Jerry,

Never decide to do a "human test" and absolutely never allow the path to be through the heart. One hand on the RV skin and one in a puddle is probably a worst case scenario as to how to set up a heart stopping shock.....an AC voltmeter lead in the puddle pressed into the ground a bit, and a meter lead on the skin next time for sure.

Later Ed
Now you tell me!!  Seriously as a guy who routinely worked with 50K volt power supplies, you think I would know better.  Actually I do, I joke but if it didn't kill the bare foot 10 year old standing in a puddle who described it as a tingle, probably won't kill me either.  It was an informed and educated (and a little lazy) trouble shooting technique.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Hot Skin
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 02:18:55 AM »
Revisiting this, I wanted to show my version of the 50 amp device Lee linked to earlier in this thread.  Simpler versions might suffice, but this one seemed to cover all the bases.  The documentation on the linked page seemed to be a bit dated, and not all the parts were as available as it implied, so some improvisation was necessary.  The digital voltmeter was a cheaper and more accurate upgrade, it seemed to me.  A simple 30 amp adapter plus 3-outlet expander, as shown on the link, just uses the digital voltmeter and one circuit analyzer off the 50-amp concoction, and both devices store easily in a small Rubbermaid box in my power cord bay, handy to use prior to plugging in anywhere.

Our on-board Surge Guard has protected the coach systems several times that I know of, so these devices may be unnecessary given the odds so far experienced.  But I couldn't resist the temptation to put them together anyway.  Besides, they may perhaps present a park manager with indications of what may be behind any issue we do run across... again.  I do need to proclaim I've yet to actually try the 50 amp unit, and likely will not be able to for awhile due to travel limitations for the time-being.  But having followed the instructions, in principle it should do the job.

Sorry, as is common here the pix don't always translate right-side up.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:28:17 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert