Author Topic: Newbie Hurricaine Question...  (Read 2091 times)

Frederick Germain

Newbie Hurricaine Question...
« on: April 02, 2017, 07:46:22 PM »
Just got a new to me 1999 Beaver Marquis Jasper.  Wow.  What an amazing coach. Unfortunately I did not get a thorough checkout with the previous owner so I'm kind of on my own for learning ALL the systems.  My main priority is to do no harm to it while I am learning.  I'm taking it VERY slowly and reading all the owners manuals and posts that I can find here that seem relevant and not touching anything until I am sure that I understand what I'm doing.  I'm also going to attend the "Shuffle to Buffalo" meet in Hamburg at the end of the summer where I hope to have a bunch of folks who are able to take me under their wings and give me a real education.

Here's my first of what will be MANY questions:  The coach was winterized prior to me picking it up and driving it home.  Am I correct that I should NOT turn on the heat in the coach until I have de-winterized it?  My (minimal) understanding of the system is that I want water in the tank prior to trying to start up the heat...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:02:31 PM by Frederick Germain »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Newbie Hurricaine Question...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:48:34 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!  Sorry I can't help, I live in Central Florida so I winterize by parking in the driveway and pulling the shades closed to keep out the Sun!  I'm sure you will get answers soon.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 03:00:45 AM »
Fred,

Usually there is no issue with turning on the heat if you have been winterized. The fluid in the heating system is a closed loop system that contains antifreeze so there were no procedures done to alter its normal concentration of antifreeze that remains in the system year round. Just check to be sure the level is correct.

Some systems have a separate electric water heating unit with an electric element to augment the Hydro Hot, again just be sure that the fluid is at the right level before enabling the heating element. The domestic water system is the part that has been altered with the addition of non toxic antifreeze that would need to be flushed for normal use.

Later Ed

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:40:34 AM »
Fred, I would think it would be better to have water in the coach system. Flush out the anti freeze and add water just to make sure, can't go wrong that way.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:47:59 AM »
Fred,
Winterizing your coach will not effect your Hurricane system. The winterizing process only effects the fresh water system and drain traps. However, you should not turn on your electric water heater because it was probably drained when the coach was winterized and it must be filled before turning it on. Also, there is no electric heating element in the Hurricane system. If you need any additional information about you Hurricane heating system, just call me at 713-254-4156, and I will answer all of your questions. I am in the Pacific Time Zone now.

Gerald