Author Topic: Another Problem with the dreaded Hurricane.  (Read 2961 times)

Michael Kauffman

Another Problem with the dreaded Hurricane.
« on: April 14, 2017, 02:52:02 AM »
Hi Everybody, I've had my son-in-law living in my 98' Patriot for the last year.  He's out now (yeah).  Anyway, in the last couple of months the Hurricane has stated acting up.  First we noticed that the engine heat switch in the galley was coming on infrequently on it own and wouldn't turn off.  The pump also comes on when that switch is lighted.  Well now it and the pump are staying on all of the time.  This is all with everything turned off on the thermostat.  On the light panel in the hurricane bay it shows 2 green at the top and a red on the "open remote" near the bottom.  Where do I start looking for an open remote?  I cut the power wire to the pump so it wouldn't burn up.

Any ideas?  Thanks, Mike, Issaquah, WA

Gerald Farris

Re: Another Problem with the dreaded Hurricane.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »
Mike,
The red light that says "open remote" is just telling you that the Hurricane switch inside the coach is turned off.

From your description, it sounds like you very possibly have a bad control board or engine preheat switch. However, before you condemn such an expensive part like the control board, I would call technical assistance at ITR, the manufacturer of the Hurricane system, for diagnostic assistance.

Gerald   

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 02:03:38 AM »
The Hurricane is basically a good, relatively simple device IMO.  I agree with Gerald that your current problem with the pump running all the time sounds like a switch problem, or maybe a bad board.  I'd go after the switch first since would be easy to check and a cheap fix.

Gerald's recommendation to call ITR in Vancouver WA is the right thing to do IMO.  Kevin Lambert at ITR can walk you through the diagnostics which will permit you to identify what the issue is. 

Greg Kamper

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 08:31:57 PM »
Another thing to look at is to make sure that the engine pre-heat switch wasn't accidently turned on. I did that once and it took me a while before I figured out what I did... The switch is on the dash near the driving light switch.