Author Topic: Durability of yellow plastic fuel line  (Read 2426 times)

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
Durability of yellow plastic fuel line
« on: April 15, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »
Hi I recently added the cat C9 Auxiliary fuel pump modification. During this install it was necessary to reroute the fuel line from the aux pump to the engine. Unfortunately in this process the fuel line was kinked. Perhaps 80 degrees. It is now straight but the kinked portion is under the fuel line insulation therefore I cannot visually inspect it. It does not feel as if it would be creating any restriction to fuel flow. So the question is should it be replaced or is it not much of an issue? My greatest concern is that the fuel line would begin to leak at the kink. I would expect that the material is or should be quite tough but I don't have much (any) experience with this stuff. Comments appreciated (yes I know it was a stupid thing to do!)
Also does anyone know what this stuff is made of?
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:54:42 PM by Jim Edwards »
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Durability of yellow plastic fuel line
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:49:13 PM »
Jim, the plastic fuel line is very strong and depending on the kink about the only thing that will happen
will Restricted fuel flow. You can splice the plastic line with a 5/8 double female air line fitting with
A Farrell, nut and steel insert that slides into the plastic fuel line. You can also add a piece of plastic air
line to extend the fuel line. We have used this on several install of electric fuel pumps. Jim Nichols
long time low power problem started with sub standard fuel fittings and plastic fuel line like you
have. The very good connection and air tight connection was with the brass air line fittings.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Jim Edwards

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 12:14:20 AM »
Jim, Dave is right on the mark with his comments plus if you get rid of the Cat connectors by using the air line connections you will not be sucking air.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13
The following users thanked this post: Jim Edwards

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 03:26:15 AM »
Thanks I was able to make the connection by re-routing around some hydraulic lines. I did use the compression air fittings on both sides of the filter/fuel pump. The line in the location of the kink is reasonable straight so if there is restriction I would think it is minimal. It is the line from the filter/fuel pump to the engine so if I see low power I guess I will just replace the whole line. Looks to be 3 to 4 ft. in length. I have noticed that the idle rpm is now rock solid at 750 RPM this was not the case prior to adding the filter/fuel pump. High Idle @1200 still moves -5 rpm but again seems more stable than before.

Jim Edwards
15 Grand Cherokee

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 04:09:44 AM »
Jim, do not know how far you driven the Motorhome but as things straighten out you
will like the results. We have several BAC members that have installed the Cat Electric
fuel pump and very positive feed back. Jim one thing as you start driving motorhome,
before change over the engine ECM made adjustments for the air/fuel,if you were pulling
air into fuel system which would affect your fuel pressure and reduce speed up or seem
Doggy and flat on take off and on hills. Run for awhile and you will see difference.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »
Hi Dave, I would say I have driven it about 8 feet or so! ( on and off a set of ramps ) Good so far! I will be getting some distance on it later this month. Thanks again.
Jim Edwards
15 Grand Cherokee