Author Topic: Carefree Awning on Contessa  (Read 7576 times)

Dan Murphy

Carefree Awning on Contessa
« on: April 16, 2017, 08:22:42 PM »
Ok we have docked for the day and I want to extend my awning on the 09 Contessa  ----but---no joy!!  I have used search and found some references to a fuse in the bathroom linked to the Sat booster and thermostats --but our Sat and our air conditioners are ok. Could the fuse still be bad??

I can't find any fuse anywhere that says awning power on it!! Does anyone have a suggestion?? We seem to have power everywhere but to the awning switch. The switch to turn the awning power on does not light up at all.

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
Re: Carefree Awning on Contessa
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 09:54:32 PM »
Dan, on our 07Contessa there is a fuse behind the awning switch. We had to remove the panel behind the switch to acces.s the fuse. We have the Carefree Eclips patio awning. Not sure if your rig was wired like ours.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:08:13 PM »
I looked through all my info and couldn't find a separate fuse or circuit breaker.  The manual implies there is a 15 amp "mini breaker" in the electrical bay, but I don't see it.  My next notion would be that it comes down to a fuse behind everyone's switch panel, as Bryan points out.  But I'd also look for why it blew, such as something jamming the arm/roller mechanism. 

The only other thing is to be sure the ignition is off, as I think the awning is otherwise locked out.  That alone indicates a relay somewhere that cuts awning power when the ignition is on, but I don't see it in the bay either.

If it's the Carefree Eclipse, be especially mindful there's nothing askew with the motor drive, front arm, top black plastic housing.  That's the only thing holding the thing up;  ours free-fell/unrolled on a freeway because the drive shaft to roller tube sleeve connection failed.  It's a poor design.  There is as of last fall an aftermarket device available to securely pin the roller tube in place, but one has to remember to unlock it prior to hitting the extend switch or risk motor and drive sleeve damage.

Sorry.  I got off your track a bit and on my soap box.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:06:34 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dan Murphy

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:58:33 PM »
I don't find any fuses behind the switches that are located on the passengers side console.The fuse in the bath area must be good cause the thermostats are working. Must be some kind of relay since I understand the switch is locked out by ignition switch. I think I have a CD disc of the wiring diagram somewhere and I will try to look at it tonite but not very likely I will see anything on it. The last time I referred to it I couldn't follow it very well.

Off to see St Augustine for the day!!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »
Dan,
On my 07, the fuse is located in the awning controller box.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 01:34:10 AM »
Steve
Where is your awning controller box located??

Dan

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 02:07:23 AM »
Indeed I proved to myself the awning power switch lamp was out if the 10 amp minifuse labeled thermostat/sat dish/TV boost was pulled in the bathroom electric box.  Thanks, Dan for pointing that out, so I could addendum the fuse labels in my documents.  But there has to be more if there's an ignition interlock.

I'm not sure where the controller box is either at the moment, but I'd guess, and that's all it is, behind the switch panel.  You'd have to remove the entire all-inclusive backboard panel to get at it, not just the switch escutcheon.  Here's a link to an installation manual, which may not be your exact model of course, but has diagrams of the controller box so you know what you may need to find and where its 15 amp minifuse is.
http://www.nwrvsupply.com/manuals/cc_eclipse_installation.pdf

-Joel
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:16:21 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 02:09:12 AM »
Dan,
It's behind the controls on the inside of the magazine rack next to the co-pilot's seat. I happened to be working on mine so was able to get a couple of pics that may help. Note the fuse in the controller.
Steve
Steve
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 02:21:26 AM »
Thanks, Steve.  I had no idea all that stuff might be behind there.  Maybe the ignition interlock device noted in the installation instructions is in there also.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Dan Murphy

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »
Thanks Steve and Joel. I will try to look at this soon and get back to you.Sightseeing is on the agenda today and no time to look.

Dan Murphy

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 03:50:35 PM »
Update-------I was able to find the awning controller behind a small panel UNDERneath the magazine rack where the fire extinguisher is mounted. Wow! was it tough to get to but by moving the seat various ways i got it undone and found the little white box. Now the next trick was getting my arms in there to try and remove fuse for testing. I am realizing why it takes so long and cost so much to troubleshoot these machines!!
It is a 15 amp fuse and it was good---so that is not the fix. Could this be some kind of relay and where will I find THAT???

Golfing in 1 hr here at Pawleys Island so no more looking today. I will look some more on Sunday probably but if anyone can help with any more information jump in here please.

Been talking to Dave Atherton also about the engine---running fine on flat ground but NO BOOST! I have no idea what is up with that!I will make a separate post about that!

Still love Rv'ing!!!!!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »
Dan,
Check the connectors that go into the white controller box. I was working on mine earlier this week and found that one of the pins in the power connector was not seated. It showed up as an intermittent power problem when I wiggled the wires. Fix was to slightly bend the 2 tabs on the pin and reinsert it into the connector. Also, if you have a volt meter, check that you have 12V on the 12V connector going into the controller.
Steve
Steve
Steve

Dan Murphy

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 10:20:34 PM »
Thanks Steve, I will check the connector for 12 volt when we park Monday.

Dan Murphy

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »
Update on patio awning----I never could figure out why I had no power to the of-on switch for the patio awning. I looked everywhere but finally I ran a jumper wire from the power supply to the door awning switch over to the patio awning switch and now it works.
Does anybody see a future or possible problem with running this jumper wire??? It seemed like a simple fix.

Edward Buker

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »
Dan,

The patio awning uses less current then the main awning so the supply current could be limited if it was originally intended to be wired separately with a lighter gauge wire. It seems more likely that there was one 12V supply line to both awnings and they were just never wired right to begin with. If the main awning motor seems to not struggle and extends and retracts normally and no fuse or breaker opens then it all should be fine.

Later Ed