Author Topic: Headlight lenses and Tail lights  (Read 5472 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Headlight lenses and Tail lights
« on: April 13, 2017, 05:52:31 AM »
Over the years there has been much discussion about cleaning or replacing plastic lenses.  I just spent about 20 minutes and 2 paper towels taking the chaulking off our tail lights with a small sample packet I picked up at the FMCA Chandler rally.
The sample held only a couple dabs of the polish and still nearly did all the tail lights and turn signals. 
I will order a larger quantity and report back after the headlights are done but if it works even close to as well I will be glad.
go to
www.flitz.com and look at the product in the silver packet or qt. Can.  The videos seem to be truthful. 
This is not a cheap product but you use so little each time.  The headlights on our Marquis were spendy as were all the vehicles.  This might be the answer.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

john brunson

Re: Headlight lenses and Tail lights
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 03:58:45 PM »
toothpaste

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 12:40:35 AM »
Ken, another use for " Flitz " is to restore your engin exhaust tip and clean up scratches in your screen door sliding plastic window. Great product, thanks for the reminder.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 09:15:41 AM »
Tried the toothpaste thing on youtube and it ruined a headlight several years ago.  Of course it was not MY fault.
Someone also told me that they use White Diamond polish and a buffer on headlights.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 05:58:44 PM »
Keith
Please let us know about your success/experience....interested in trying. 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 01:59:31 AM »
There are many solutions that will clean/shine headlight lenses. However, in the process the protective coating that resists the sun and weather effects is removed so the lenses will cloud up relatively quickly. Consider using a commercial product like Meguiares that supplies the protectant along with the polishing agent.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
I used and liked this 3M kit.  A key part of the kit is the pad for your drill.  Once I got the '04 Monterey's lights cleaned up the first time, all that was needed was the pad and a little polish about once a year.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY

Bob Bulot

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 08:31:45 PM »
I've tried a lot of "home remedies" and expensive stuff for clearing plastic lenses.  They either flat out don't work, require way too much elbow grease,  or simply provide an oily covering that is gone in a washing or two.  I have had the best luck the old school way: a buffer and polishing compound. 

As stated earlier. what ever abrasive technique you use, the protective coating is removed, so that exposure to the elements will eventually start to dull and cloud the lens again.  I use Nu Finish polish wo slow this process down.  I am a big fan of Nu Finish in the orange bottle, particularly for all plastic and fiberglass surfaces.  You can apply it in the direct sun and it doesn't leave dust.  It is a polymer material and contains no wax.  It's available everywhere, and it's cheap (end of commercial).