Author Topic: 2002 Marquis Dim Tail Light and Brake Light.  (Read 3023 times)

Dick Simonis

2002 Marquis Dim Tail Light and Brake Light.
« on: April 18, 2017, 04:38:40 PM »
Our tail lights and brake lights are very dim and can hardly be seen in the daylight.  What is the best cure for this issue.  I have looked at LED bulbs replacement LED assemblies but there are so many choices I have gone into paralysis by analysis.

Figure someone has already gone down this path so any input would be helpful.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Edward Buker

Re: 2002 Marquis Dim Tail Light and Brake Light.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »
Dick,

I am not sure if you have done the relay mod for the front headlights that brightened them, I think you probably have. I suspect that the wire length required to get power to the brake lights and tail lights may have an issue with voltage drop also. If you apply the brake lights with the bulbs in place by piercing the wire covering see what the voltage is at the rear tail and brake lights. If it is not over 12V you could apply the same wiring change adding a relay to those circuits by adding fused wire leads from the battery compartment and using the current tail light feed wires as a triggers on the relays.

There may be a good alternative LED assembly given they are not as voltage sensitive as a filament bulb regarding brightness. I would try a couple of LEDs and see if you find one you are happy with. If not then check the voltage near the bub base and decide if a modification is in order. This is especially critical given the load of the car in tow is yet another added load on the coach long wiring harness adding voltage drop. You may want to check the voltages with the toad wiring and lights attached to see what the real world voltage is. If you do a mod with relays I would probably use 12GA stranded wire from the battery compartment to feed the relay switched lead and mount the relays near the tail lights. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:25:59 PM »
 If when you pull each bulb socket from the brake/tail housing you may find dust on the bulb. If so the inside of the lens reflector is coated with dust. Remove the lens and wash out the dust and let them sit in the sun to dry. Whether you replace the bulbs with LEDs or not coat the outer edge of the socket with plumbers grease. Plumbers grease will not deteriorate any rubber factory used to keep dust out.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:40:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I pulled the bulbs today and they are clean but didn't bother checking the voltage since there isn't much I can do about one way or the other.  I do have the headlight mod for both upper and lower beams however I have yet to drive at night (hope to keep that record as is)  so I have no idea how effective the mod.

Figure I would just convert to LED's and just ordered these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D415K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Granted they are a bit more pricey than some but I've been less than thrilled about some of the cheap LED light so I'm operating on the principle that you get what you pay for and sticking to a name brand.

I'll let you know how they work.

Dick