Author Topic: Starter Solenoid  (Read 7218 times)

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
Starter Solenoid
« on: April 19, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
Hi I am a bit concerned about corrosion on that I believe to be, what I can best describe as, a solenoid relay in the start circuit. Can someone tell me the specifications of this relay. (Eg continuous duty, contact type etc.) I cannot read the legend of all of the wires but one indicates "start power". It is located in the engine bay. I have attached a photo of it. For that matter if anyone has any idea on what it actually controls. I did find  a print that shows a similar relay in the start circuit feeding to the starter motor but, this has an extra wire not shown on the print. There fore I ma not certain that this is what is on the print. Any thoughts.   
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:13:50 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Edward Buker

Re: Starter solinoid
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:20:59 PM »
Jim,

This is a Cole Hersee 12V 85 amp continuous duty Solenoid with Copper terminals and the body is coated to eliminate corrosion. Given the look of the terminals and the age of the old solenoid I also think it is time.

I think this one would be a safe bet at 85 amp continuous duty looking at the size of the wires on the large terminals on the old one. I would spray the new terminals with a product called Corrosion X (in a red can) once installed. Available in pump spray or spray can.

https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-24117-Continuous-Solenoid/dp/B001FQL444/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1492621710&sr=1-5&refinements=p_4%3ACole+Hersee

https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-Technologies-91002-CorrosionX-trigger/dp/B0009GYRWW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1492622365&sr=1-1&keywords=corrosion+x

Later Ed
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:27:59 PM by Edward Buker »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Edwards

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 11:06:41 PM »
We replaced the old solenoid with your suggested replacement about 5 years ago. We are have no the same symptoms with total shutdown and requiring a restart. We just had BCS put a filter on a Kenwood monitor for our backup camera because it was rolling due to electrical interference. Could this be related?  2003 Beaver Marquis C 12
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:52:49 AM »
John,
It is not clear what you used for the replacement solenoid. If you used the standard 85 amp continuous duty solenoid, a failure in 5 years is earlier than normal, but it does happen. However, if you used the solid state unit that has also been discussed here, it should not be defective because it is rated for enough cycles to wear out your coach and then some. Have you determined that the solenoid is the problem?

As for your back up camera, the two items should not be related.

Gerald

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 04:24:18 AM »
We put in a solid state ignition solenoid. Dash accessories went out , engine died and immediately restarted just like 5 years before. Possible other causes?
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 04:39:39 AM »
John,

Like Gerald pointed out it is not likely that a solid state device would fail, especially given the situation that it restarted. Solid state devices like this one, if they fail, they remain in an open state and are not intermittent. I would look to the ignition switch itself or the plug in connector that feeds the switch connection. Also check that you do not have a loose wire on the solid state solenoid given it has been 5 years.

Sometimes if it is an ignition switch contact issue you can induce the open condition by wiggling the key, while in the ignition on position, with the engine running. If so the switch is suspect.

Later, Ed
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:06:47 AM by Edward Buker »

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »
HI John, I have a 05 Monterey but if you have a relay in the front electrical box you may want to look at it. In my coach the relay supplies power to the engine ECU as well as the dash instruments. The contact points did not fail but the coil in the relay had weakened. If I hit a medium or large bump, the relay would disengage causing engine shutdown and loss of instruments. Just a thought, ( relay pictured in attachment) Best of luck
Jim Edwards
15 Grand Cherokee

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
Re: Starter Solenoid
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 07:59:13 AM »
Tried tapping the solenoid and the ignition switch plus giggling the key and couldn't get it to shut down. The other interesting thing that just may be coincidence but all the trip data on the Aladdin is gone. No fuel stats, no mileage or engine hours They all have set back to 0. My gray tank monitor has also set back to 0. We just had it replaced at BCS. IS THE Aladdin powered through the ignition?
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 09:59:25 PM »
Jim
        when you replace your solenoid, make sure the diode is reinstalled the same way you take it off. The Gray band is your indicator.

Larry
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 02:20:28 PM »
Hi John, For cheap money I would replace the solenoid in the front electrical box Making sure as in the previous post that the diode is in the correct orientation. If the solenoid fails in the on position and the engine if running, the engine will not stop. if it fails on the off positon the engine will not start. If it drops out when running the engine will shut off. I have 50k miles on my coach and I am on my 3rd solenoid. I will not travel without a spare. 

As for the Alladin it is not part of the engine ignition circuit because you ( or at least I in my coach) can turn the Alladin on without the ignition on.  I believe it gets the engine data from the engine ECU. There should be a reset button for the Alladin and I might try that and see if your data returns. Every now and again mine gets confused and the button needs to be pushed.

I guess my greater concern is if there are engine ECU issues or data communications between engine ECU and the rest of the coach. I do not know engine, year and type of your coach. This all assumes there is an engine ECU. I might suggest you contact Dave Atherton if Alladin reset does not help. 
Jim Edwards
15 Grand Cherokee

Roger Rempe

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
Speaking of that diode. What is it for and what type is it? Several years ago, I experienced ignition solenoid failure. The repair tech replaced the solenoid but didn't attach the diode. I informed him about it and he attached it. The engine still wouldn't start so, he removed it and then it fired up. He told me that "in all my years of doing this, I've never seen one attached to the solenoid". I've never had a problem running without it. Should I replace it and how do I know which direction?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 03:59:42 PM »
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:01:57 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Roger Rempe

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
So, looking at Jim's picture, the grey band of the diode would be attached to the post on the right side?

Roger Rempe

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »
In the electrical diagram, it appears that the grey band of the diode is attached towards the left (+) terminal.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 01:22:45 AM »
Gray band on the otherwise black diode is toward the front of the coach.  That is how it's oriented on our coach that's similar to yours, and also how the master diagram for the bay, like Jim's, presents it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:53:25 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat