Author Topic: Extended Service Plans  (Read 5122 times)

Bob Bulot

Extended Service Plans
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:27:32 PM »
Sorry if I've missed previous posts on this topic.  Could find only one ca. 2010.

Does anyone have recent experience (pro or con) with motorhome extended service plans? 

I know Good Sam has one, and assume there are others.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Extended Service Plans
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:22:49 PM »
Hi Bob, We purchased a plan when we bought our Beaver two years ago. US Warranty Corp in Ohio. Was about $5800 for 4 years, 100,000 miles. Covers almost everything, $100 deductible. Used it twice so far. Biggest repair so far was for dash A/C. A CAT dealer spent 13 hrs on the problem and the warr. Co. would pay only about half the labor hours according to their 'flat rate' book. They did pay for a new A/C compressor, so in the end, they picked up about half the bill. On a diesel pusher, I think its a wise investment; we'll see what breaks next!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 06:28:01 PM »
While you're waiting on replies specific to your question, you could try searching using the search argument "extended warrant" and you will get over 80 threads.  Granted, most of the threads probably don't mention costs and warranty names, but many will.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bob Bulot

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
Thanks David.  I think I tried every variation on that theme, (mostly because these aren't actually warranties).  Couldn't imagine this topic hadn't been addressed a jillion times.   Murphy's Law. 

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:16:59 PM »
I had a Good sam extended service contract at one time. It was almost $2000 a year, but the very first claim I had was denied. It was on the cooling unit for my Norcold frig that was bad. They asked the service dept for pictures and then said that they would not cover it because the tubes had corrosion on them. A 2001 Motorhome with a vent cover that exposes the cooling unit 24/7 and you don't get rust, ok then!

Then I had an issue with the hydraulic jacks leaking. I talked with Scott at Good SAM and he said they would cover some of the cost for replacement of the jack or a suitable repair. Never received a dime. They said the system was obsolete and not covered. I did have one claim that did cover about $750 for a few smaller items after I paid my $500 deductible, but that was after they had received over $4000 of mine in coverage payments.

I canceled and havent looked back. Now I put a couple hundred away a month for servicing and any fixes. Much better and no aggravation.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

jeffprupis

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 04:19:16 AM »
Bought Extended Warranty with the purchase of our coach in March '16. $5,500 for 4 year plan $500 deductible. Used  to replace Hydro Hot with new Aqua Hot - paid for itself right there. Used once more HWH Air leveling issue. Highly recommend for older coach plus warranty co sent inspector to check out before I completed the sale. https://www.wholesalewarranties.com

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
We too bought a plan from Wholesale Warranties. Just used it to replace the Mother board & keypad for the HWH pneumatic leveling system. Got a 3yr/36K plan for $5300. Covers everything from end to end. Good peace of mind.............

jeffprupis

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 07:17:50 PM »
Yes, it's called an Exclusionary Plan - well worth the added $$. It covers EVERYTHING.

Bob Bulot

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 05:24:15 PM »
It appears that Wholesale Warranties is a brokerage.  I guess your experiences would depend on which service plan provider they placed you with.

jeffprupis

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
Indeed they are. Ours is with Viking.
 http://vikingprotection.com

Bob Jae

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »
I believe that Viking is owned by Wholesale Warranties now.