Author Topic: Ignition switch pin bent (G-1) 2000 Beaver Patriot  (Read 3312 times)

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
Ignition switch pin bent (G-1) 2000 Beaver Patriot
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »
Good morning I have a 2000 Beaver Patriot that I have been having issues with for years with the Ignition switch. I did a temp fix a couple of times by just pushing in on the plug and then taping it to the switch. It works OK for awhile and I forget about until it acts up on a trip. (getting younger). So today I am going to fix it be replacing the switch. The switch has peace that is broken off were one of the plug tabs connects. My Question is Pin G-1 is bent over and was not Plugged in. It has been this way for years, it looks like it goes to ground. Is there any reason I should not straiten and make sure it is connected?

Marty
2000 Patriot

Edward Buker

Re: Ignition switch pin bent (G-1) 2000 Beaver Patriot
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »
Marty,

I had a 2002 Marquis and replaced the ignition switch and I do not remember having a bent pin and a connection that was not made. You may be able to examine the bent pin surface an see if there ever was a connection that left "wear tracks" from it ever being seated in the opposing connector. It may have been originally bent when first installed and redundant grounds have handled the job.

I would straighten it and connect it and then check all the switch positions and see that it works properly. The fact that you are connecting a ground should not be much of a concern. There are general schematics for these switches and you can check the switch/harness pin position and what the connections are typically connected to and see that it all makes sense. I think these are 70s GM vintage switches. You probably have already checked that info out knowing the bent pin was a ground.

Later Ed

Marty Bailey

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 01:36:41 AM »
Update: I replace the switch and straighten the pin and all worked ok without any fire to cook hot-dogs with.  After taking the out the old switch out I could see it was taken apart and not in real good shape. Thanks for the help.

Marty
2000 Patriot

Jeff Ramey

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 12:49:23 AM »
Does anyone know off the top of their head, which ignition switch I would need to order to replace the one in my 2000 PT?
I could pull the key out without shutting off the engine, and when I climbed under the dash to examine it, it pretty much fell apart and springs and pins shot out. So... unless I intend to hot wire this beauty, I'm going to need a new switch before I can drive it.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 02:11:03 AM »
The link below seems to show the ignition switches in our coaches are a General Motors product.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3140.msg23597.html#msg23597
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 02:32:55 AM »
Jeff,
Take your old switch with you when you go to the parts house to be sure that the electrical connector matches, but I think that your coach uses an ignition from a mid 1980s Chevrolet pickup truck.

Gerald 

Jeff Ramey

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »
Thanks guys! I can't tell you how many $$$$ this forum has saved me already! Membership here has been one of the best investments I could have possibly made concerning this motor coach. I can't overstate my satisfaction. I'll be a member as long as I own a Beaver/Safari/Monaco product  ;D

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 05:28:20 PM »
If your ignition switch is a through dash unit, not mounted on the steering wheel, it will have a chrome bezel, mine had 3 detents, that is a bear to get off and on. Fortunately you can Google up a Bezel Wrench (fits on a socket wrench) that screws it on and off. I had numerous issues trying to get mine off with a pair of needle nose pliers; best $12 I ever spent. 8)
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 12:05:48 AM »
GM ignitions seem to have been used on about every class A coach of any ilk I’ve seen for decades.  I replaced the one in our ‘84 Pace Arrow around 1990 with one out of a van in a local junkyard for next to nothing, likely a ‘70s Chev.  But for our Beaver I’d try to find a new in-the-box replacement.  Who knows what a used ignition had already been through.  Internal burned metals and unseen melted plastic is as bad or worse than the one you’re replacing.  Though the ignitions were not changed much over models or decades, take Gerald’s advice.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeff Ramey

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »
Got all the parts I needed at O'Rielly's  (sp?) Auto Parts!
The part numbers listed earlier by a previous poster (thanks!) produced an exact match with a Borg Warner CS81 switch.
I also got a brand new key lock cylinder with 2 keys while there. Total damage less than $20 out the door!
I used to restore mid '60's Ford Mustangs and learned a few tricks when it comes to removing that chrome bezel without damaging it. l did the same for the Beaver when replacing this one. DON'T attempt to use any of the 3 detents on the chrome bezel to unscrew the ignition switch unless you have the special spanner for it; you'll most likely scratch up the surface before you succeed in removing the switch. Instead, reaching under and behind the dash, unplug the connector from the back of the switch and spin the whole switch while holding the chrome bezel still. I didn't even need a tool to hold mine while unscrewing the switch, just steady pressure. Thanks again for all the assistance! This forum is aces!