Author Topic: Supersteer motion control unit / Comfort Ride Valve Kit  (Read 3581 times)

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
Supersteer motion control unit / Comfort Ride Valve Kit
« on: April 26, 2017, 12:46:50 AM »
Hi, I have heard that these types of things improve ride. So my first question is it true? Second, I ONLY have air leveling. Do these slow down or affect the rate at which the leveling occurs? Third has anyone tried the Comfort Ride Valve Kit from Source Engineering? Seems to be the same idea only different. Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Supersteer motion control unit / Comfort Ride Valve Kit
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 04:17:41 AM »
The motion control units do not affect leveling.  They are meant to react to and help buffer sudden air movement in and out of the bags while on the road, thus moderating excess rocking motion.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Russ Mann

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 03:03:58 AM »
Henderson's Line Up just finished my coach today. I had the Supersteer unit, Koni Shocks, Comfort Ride Valve Kit, Front end adjustments and alignment and two new TOYO tires put on the front. WOW WOW WOW. Should have done it much earlier. Our coach has been to Alaska twice and across Canada from BC to Nova Scotia and back and the roads were not always kind. The coach has only 72,000 miles.

The Comfort Ride does not affect the leveling of the coach as stated above but tonight it seemed like it may have taken an additional 20 to 30 seconds to level, no big deal. Seeing that I had the Koni shocks and Comfort Ride done at the same time I cannot comment how the coach would react with just the Comfort Ride modification. I'm currently in southern Oregon and the big change is that I do not notice a chassis roll in the curves, maybe the Konis or the Comfort Ride is the reason but, I love the way the coach handles now. We were looking at the new Entegras at BCS but after these changes no need. My Beaver Monterey Laguna IV has everything we need as full timers. The additions were not inexpensive but in my opinion, well worth it. ::)

I strongly recommend Henderson's Line Up in Grants Pass. They kept me informed and showed me step by step what they were doing. The ride assessment was a little pricey at $199 but very thorough including weighing each wheel and suggesting tire pressure adjustments. Well worth the trip from Nevada.  :) :)
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Schmidt, Jim Edwards

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 04:15:39 AM »
Thanks I was interested in the leveling speed. I am up in the north east and a bit of a ride to Grants pass. I have put the KONI's on and I am thinking about having the ride control done locally. Any reason you chose the Supersteer motion control unit over the Comfort Ride Valve Kit? My understanding is the supersteer reduced/restricted air flow in both directions where the Comfort Ride Valve Kit is directional. I haven't found any information on what is better. If any is.
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 05:04:03 AM »
I'm assuming by "Supersteer unit" you mean the trim control, Russ, as SuperSteer is Henderson's brand and applies to many of their products.  Comfort Ride is from Source Engineering in Washington or Eugene, OR, and operates similar to Henderson's SuperSteer Motion Control units but restricts air flow in only one direction (in) as opposed to the Motion Control's bi-directional valving.

I did not know, or forgot, that Henderson's sold the Comfort Ride devices, and am curious why you went with that as opposed to the SuperSteer ones, as I did.

It would appear that both Russ and I are happy with different but similar modifications, Jim, and on coaches similar to yours.  You likely can't go wrong with either one.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 05:17:26 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Russ Mann

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 06:40:56 AM »
Joel,
Excuse me for not mentioning the SuperSteer Trim Unit, you are correct with the SuperSteer being Henderson's registered trademark. The 8 MCU (Motion Control Units) installed are restrictive in both directions as you stated and are not the same as what the OP was asking about, I thought they were. Sorry if I muddied the waters.