Author Topic: Induction Cooktops  (Read 9627 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Induction Cooktops
« on: May 04, 2017, 11:34:09 PM »
We decided to install induction cooktops. We wanted them to be below the counter tops so we could use the existing covers and DW wanted a space to store baking pans. The opening was 24” which limited us in cooktop selection as most were 12”+ in width. Found a set with good reviews from Duxtop and studied Dan Murphy’s excellent installation post. http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,4763.msg35593.html#msg35593

My sawsall made relatively quick work of the horizontal countertop lip. Power came from 2 existing non-inverter circuits; the block heater and house vacuum, neither of which will be used when we are cooking. Access to the breakers was fairly easy as they are in the toilet box. Duxtop recommends not have the units plugged in when not in use so I ran power through a double pole switch and then to a duplex outlet in which I’d clipped the jumper to separate the 2 outlets.

The units are mounted with Velcro so can be removed if needed. The cabinet door started life as the drawer front under our Dometic reefer, which had to  be removed when we installed the Samsung. We now have an all-electric coach (with a 31 lb propane tank that is ½+ full). So stop by at any rallies we’re at as I’ll have the fire-pit burning after dark (and be doing a lot of outside cooking) to use up the gas. When empty, I plan to remove the large tank and replace it with small one, install a divider  and add 2 more house batteries.

Fun projects.
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, LaMonte Monnell

Carol Moffett

Re: Induction Cooktops
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »
Wow, Steve!  This looks fabulous!   I like everything about how you did it!  Good job!
Carol
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~
The following users thanked this post: Jim Edwards

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 06:55:35 PM »
Duxtop recommends not have the units plugged in when not in use ,,,,,,

We own the Duxtop 9600LS and I didn't recall seeing any such statement.  I've reread the user guide and still can't find such a recommendation.  https://www.thesecura.com/wp-content/uploads/Duxtop-Induction-Cooktop-9600LS-User-Manual-1.pdf

Did you speak with someone at Duxtop?  Is this anything more than just the usual cautionary sort of warning?  In other words is it equivalent to those warnings at the beginning of every user manual not to do things like use a hairdryer in the shower?

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:20:02 PM »
Steve,

Nice work! Both you and Dan did a great job with this install. I think the manufacturer may be concerned about the unit being left on by an inadvertent touching of the front panel.

With induction I am not sure if there is any harm if a unit was left on for a week or more. It should not heat up without some metal that has inductive heating properties sitting on it. Is there a "time out" to the panel if no pan is sensed?

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 09:08:56 PM »

With induction I am not sure if there is any harm if a unit was left on for a week or more. It should not heat up without some metal that has inductive heating properties sitting on it. Is there a "time out" to the panel if no pan is sensed?

Yes, the unit will beep and turn itself off if it doesn't sense a pan.  But Steve is saying that the manufacturer says not to even leave it plugged in when not in use and it is that statement that I am questioning.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »
Joel,
See attached page from user manual (Model -9100MC)
Steve
Steve

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 01:02:15 AM »
Thanks; it does appear my user guide has the same section.  IMO this is a boilerplate set of warnings created by lawyers to reduce lawsuit risk; we routinely leave our burner plugged in and don't intend to change our behavior.  I'm sure that all electrical devices with "soft" switches (as opposed to mechanical "hard" switches) are statistically safer if not plugged in.  If you keep it unplugged then there can't be a risk that someone will accidentally turn it on.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 01:57:43 AM »
That was my thought also.
Steve
Steve

Dan Murphy

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 04:01:11 PM »
Looks good Steve!! Nice job.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »
Nice work Steve!

Someone in the club called our new motorhome a Squirrel because it is too small to be a Beaver.  It is so small, there isn't a good place for a decent Weber Q.   After a little brief "testing" in the Murphy's rig at the last Branson rally, I got an induction burner and and a couple Lodge cast iron pans.  They do fit in the Squirrel's (tiny) storage space. 

One pan has a flat bottom and the other has ribs for "grill marks".   Outside, set on high, it does a good job on steaks, chops and fish. 

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:03:23 PM by Bill Sprague »