Author Topic: Fresh Water pump question...  (Read 2718 times)

Jeff Ramey

Fresh Water pump question...
« on: October 30, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
The wife and I are "pretending" to be full timers by camping in the front yard while we await some major home repairs. It's getting a little old having to turn the water pump switch on and off every time we want to use a faucet or flush the toilet. How much extra wear and tear does it subject the fresh water pump to by just leaving the switch on all the time regardless of demand? I would assume as long as the water pressure in the plumbing remains constant, the pump motor would stay in a charged but "off" mode and not cause any additional wear when not actually running. However, we all know what "assume" can result in for "u & me".

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Fresh Water pump question...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
We leave the fresh water pump ON when dry camping.  As long as there are no leaks which would make the pump cycle periodically and eventually drain the fresh water tank and possibly overfill the waste tanks, then you're good.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »
There is no wear and tear as long as you don't have a leak. You will know if you have a leak if you hear i running intermittently when you are not actually using it.  Also, those pumps are pretty tough.... will last years with normal use.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 10:55:51 PM »
I leave our pump switch turned on when we are home. But I always turn it off if we leave for the day. I'm sure that would be when a leak would occur!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 03:01:01 AM »
In our 99PT, we had a switch in the kitchen and bath.  Turned it on when at either sink or toilet.  Had it on once when watching TV and the water line burst in the kitchen.  What a mess.  Learned to make sure it is off when not in coach and in our '05 PT we still do not leave it on unless we forget.  Turn it off when we leave and never use city water directly.  Only use pumped water from the tank.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 03:33:46 AM »
Roy Warren, why do yo say to never use city water directly but use water from the water tank. Is there something I do not understand.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 05:36:04 AM »
Jeff,
Leaving the pump on will not cause extra wear to the pump, but constantly turning the pump on and off can cause switch or relay failure.
Tom,
I run off of tank water even when on full hookups like Roy because I have a 65 PSI high volume pump so pressure and volume is usually better that campground water supply.

Gerald

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 03:07:36 AM »
How diesels one determine if they have a 65psi water pump?  If one selects the use of the water pump does that override the water coming from city water if you are connected?
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 03:26:40 AM »
Tom,
To determine what pressure your water pump is rated for, just read the pump label and go to the manufacturer's web site for the specifications. There is a low chance that a 11 year old coach has the original water pump.

If your water pump is turned on when you are on city water, when you open a facet, you will get water from the highest pressure source. So if your city water supply is at 65 PSI and your water pump is rated at 45 PSI, your water usage will be from the city water supply unless the city water pressure drops below the pump pressure due to a high GPM usage. However if the pressure reading are reversed with the pump having a higher pressure, you will be using tank water.

Gerald