Author Topic: Exhaust Brake Solenoid  (Read 3986 times)

Bob Jae

Exhaust Brake Solenoid
« on: May 13, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »
I checked out my exhaust brake today, I have felt like it was not actuating.  I verified that it is free to move first.  Then I pulled the wire off of the relay K9 and feed 12V directly back to the solenoid that actuates and sends air to the cylinder on the exhaust brake.  No clicking and the cylinder does not actuate.  Tried to see where the air line from the cylinder goes since the solenoid should be in line somewhere.
My question is does anyone know where the solenoid is mounted.  The air line I tried to follow is sleeved and goes into a bundle that disappears in an abyss.  Hoping someone has had to replace this already.  Thanks

Joe Rhea

Re: Exhaust Brake Solenoid
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 10:18:36 PM »
Bob my solinod is located very close to the exhaust valve on my 05

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 10:41:08 PM »
Bob, on the Caterpillar C-9 engine your solenoid is located just above the Engine ECM on
Passenger side on rear of engine. Should be within 15 inches of exhaust brake.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic.

Bob Jae

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 06:08:11 AM »
Thanks I will look there for it.  Have to figure out how to get access.

Bob Jae

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 02:09:35 PM »
Well Ronnie at Marv and Toms in Elkhart finally found the air solenoid.  It was ty-wraped to the return fuel lines at the back of the engine just below the valve cover.  See attached picture the arrow is pointing to the ty-wrap.  There was no way to get your hand and a cutter in there the space is a little over an inch.  Somehow he got it loose from underneath.  There is plenty of air hose and wire coiled up near it.  I believe it was meant for Monaco to relocate it once the house was put on the chassis.  It will be relocated now where it is accessible.  We ordered a new solenoid from PacBrake as this one is pretty corroded.  Thanks for the help it got us close.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 08:49:27 PM »
Yours looks a bit different than ours, on the same year and model.  Ours was on the back of the engine (forward-facing end relative to the coach), tight between the firewall and engine, just below the valve cover, and next to the tranny dipstick.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Jae

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 02:31:02 AM »
Thanks Joel ours was in the same general area but lower and much less clearance with the bed wall.  It has been replaced as it was
all corroded and relocated to a easy to get at spot on the bulkhead for the bed.  I am sure it will never go bad again now that you can change it easily.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:33:46 AM by Bob Jae »