Author Topic: Wall Replacement  (Read 3279 times)

Michael Hannan

Wall Replacement
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:53:05 PM »
This year's heavy rains & snowfall resulted in water leaking in thru the fridge vent on the roof.  The water made it's way down into exterior bathroom wall and there are now signs of mold (black spots) on the wall covering which show the outline of part of the framing beneath.  I'm thinking that I'll need to replace the wall (plywood?) and the frame behind it.  Am I right in guessing that the wall is plywood fastened to the wood frame and then covered with vinyl wallpaper?

Thanks
MJ

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Wall Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 02:16:19 AM »
Michael, your walls should be 7 layers with only two being 'luan' or plywood.  The walls are vacuum sealed together.  Any black mold is likely superficial but this is my humble opinion.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Michael Hannan

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 05:35:00 AM »
Thanks Keith.  I'll try using a mold killer first.

MJ

William Jordan

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:14:17 AM »
Isn't the "frame" aluminum studs not wood ? The only thing is the plywood interior and wall covering  That could " rot" and mold guess I assumed these were hung walls not vacuformed  ones that are subject to delam I must be misinformed  ?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:21:17 AM by William Jordan »

Darell T Hostland

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 04:27:06 PM »
Look at the reply I put on "Window leak"

Michael Hannan

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 03:13:33 AM »
Spot on Keith.  It was just on the surface.  Thanks

MJ

Michael, your walls should be 7 layers with only two being 'luan' or plywood.  The walls are vacuum sealed together.  Any black mold is likely superficial but this is my humble opinion.