Author Topic: Window Leak  (Read 5354 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Window Leak
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
One of the windows on my drivers side leaks at the bottom when it rains.  It's one of the long windows on the forward part of the slide. It looks like the leak is actually in where the window seals on the bottom where the window seats in the track.  Not sure, of course but it appears to be the only wet spot.  When I open the window from the inside, the bottom is very wet.  The screws are a little rusty.  The screws going up the sides are not rusty and the side tracks are not wet, just a little damp for a few inches going up the left side..  I added some pics, I hope, to show the area.  I guess I'm looking for an easy fix that doesn't include taking the window out.  Or maybe a recommendation of a repair facility in Montana preferably along I94 that I can get it fixed.  I'm contemplating just caulking around the bottom outside of the window until we return from Alaska.  I know I will regret that later but for now looking to stop the leak.  I don't mind paying to have work done but all the RV shops don't have appointments for weeks or months.  Anyway, any help or advice is appreciated.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Window Leak
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »
I94 ends at Billings, but if you are continuing on I90 through Missoula, Bretz Rv and Marine has been around a very long time and may be the largest, most experienced facility in that part of the country.  http://www.bretzrv.com

For temporary repair sans window removal and reseal, go around its entire perimeter with a bead of Lexel.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:43:50 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 12:47:42 AM »
Jerry 2 additional suggestions, make sure the weep holes are cLear on the bottom  of your windows and tighten the screws all around the inside window frame. Good luck
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:05:13 AM »
Weep holes are there to drain water from the track.  If water doesn't drain then I suspect the Weep holes too!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:28:39 AM »
For some reason I didn't expand your pix, and assumed the window slid horizontally.  The water looks to be quite a ways toward the inside of the frame, considering it appears as a result of rain and not condensation.

Regardless of window closing/sealing technique, the guys offer good ideas.  Snug up screws, but make sure also that no wasp or spider hasn't plugged the drains.  A few years back a family of tiny bees found their way into both our upper bedrooms for the winter via the window weep holes.  The small dark cavity is attractive to many insects.

But it may be prudent to have the window checked at Bretz or somewhere.  Water intrusion over time as demonstrated by rusty screws could imply moisture also crept into the wall below where it can befoul laminate glue.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Darell T Hostland

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 01:06:18 PM »
The leak is probably from the joint in the roof-wall seam. Most laminated rv walls are built with anti mold material because of all the humidity inside. It has been leaking for a long time to make black mold. The beaver rv has lots of wood 1.5"x3" for mounting. The windows are framed in 1.5"x1.5" wood with rounded plastic corners stapled to the wood. As well as 4" tin to mount cabinets. Check and see if the wall is soft or spongy. If so it is a major water damage problem. This is class A rv number 2 I am rebuilding. I found the joint between the roof and the side wall was leaking. It was about 4' long at the front above the entrance door. The rest of the seal was ok. It looks like it was never sealed from new at this point. Here are some pictures of the before and after the wall paper was removed.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 02:43:37 PM »
First thank you all for ideas.  The window opens vertically.  I did check the weep holes initially.  They are clear but don't look the same as the window beside this one.  The other window is dry around the weep holes.  Even when I poured some water over the outside of the window, the window itself, not the frame. They acted a little different.  The water I poured over dry window leaked right out of the weep holes.  The water I poured over the leaky window also leaked out but seemed to saturate the weep holes quickly and just sat there.  Maybe because the area was still saturated with water, I'm not sure.  These windows are in the big passenger slide so I suppose the leak could be in the roof of the slide under the topper, not good!  There does not seem to be any caulking around the windows except on the top edge curving around and down about 2 inches.  I can see the putty looking stuff (Sorry for non technical term, we would have called it monkey mess in the Navy) that squeezed out the sides when they put the window in.  But it is a little thin on that side.    None of the windows have caulk except on the top edge.  Could that still be the leak even though it looks like it is unbroken all the way around?  It rained hard again last night and no leak so maybe it has to do with the direction the wind is blowing.  There was quite a bit of wind both nights.  I'll call Bretx RV today to see if they can fit me in in a day or two.    If there are no appointments at Bretz I will caulk that window today and see what happens.  If not that then I'm guessing the leak might be coming from the roof and that is beyond my capability while on the road.  Thanks again for comments and ideas.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 10:00:47 PM »
That still sounds from your test that there is obstruction of the drain ports.  I'm guessing those square holes in the frame bottom are your ports.  If so, you might use an eye dropper, syringe, or some other device to flood each port individually and check how well they drain. 

Bugs can crawl a long way into a window drain system and die, partially plugging it, as I can attest from the tiny bees that got into our upstairs vinyl windows.  They had to mosey several feet and negotiate under the bottom slider guide to get in.  I was advised to put small amounts of cotton in the interior drain ports of all the house windows.  That kept the bees out of the house and let moisture drain, but didn't necessarily keep them from plugging things under the guide. 

If one or more ports don't drain well, you might fashion a wire you could feed through it and try dislodging any obstruction through to an outside weep or another inline port where you can remove it.  Beyond finding such a plug, I reckon Bretz is your next best option, Jerry.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Jerald Cate

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 02:11:10 AM »
Jerry,
Last year I had a problem similar to yours but mine was the side windows of the slide not the end windows.  The cause was, as Darell explained above, the seam of the slide top and side wall was leaking.  Take a look at the top of your slide the seam runs about 2 inches from the slide wall, if the sealant looks old and brittle that is most likely your problem.  There is a seam tape you can get to cover any cracks that fixed the problem.  Sorry I don't know the technical name for the tape but any RV repair facility should be able to fix you up.

Bruce

Update:  the tape is 13-002 Sika Multi-seal tape
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:13:52 AM by Jerald Cate »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »
Bruce, thank you.  That same thing happened to my passenger side slide.  I found the rain gutter to be clogged up with leaves causing the water to overflow onto the slide when it rained.  The water was coming in above one of the cabinets above the counter close to the microwave right where that seem is.  Unclogged the gutter and it has not happened again in about a month and some hard rains.  I know that seem needs to be sealed but I don't think I can remove the toppers on the either side.  I caulked around the window and am waiting for it to rain hard again to see if it worked.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH