Author Topic: Remove propane tank  (Read 3936 times)

Steve Funk

Remove propane tank
« on: May 22, 2017, 05:05:52 PM »
New to the forum here so 1st off thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.  I have been following the group for the past year and am very impressed with the knowledge here.  There is so much for me learn about my 06 38' Beaver Monterey.

I have a Samsung refer and am thinking of getting rid of the gas 2 burner and going induction.  If I do there will be no need for the big old 40gal propane tank. Has anyone removed that on this model and is it a doable deal?  Thoughts are to remove it and use the space for something else.  It must be pretty heavy too.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Remove propane tank
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »
Steve,
I'm in the same boat. My tank is about 2/3 full. Checked and found about only way to empty it is to burn it off so I'll be using my external fire-pit and BBQ a lot for the next year or so. IMHO I wouldn't try removing the tank w/gas in it. Once empty, mine is coming out. I'll divide the bay into 2 sections; 1 for a small propane tank and the other for 2 more house batteries. If you find a good, quick way of disposing of the gas in the tank, let me know.
Thx,
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »
Steve,
Just had mine removed at RV Outfitters.  It was an external tank and over half full.  They shut off the supply line to the coach then burned off all the propane in the line.  After this, they disconnected my stove, then all of the hoses to the tank, then unbolted the tank and lowered it to the ground.  Slid it out under the coach and all done with propane.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »
Roy,
THX for the info.
Steve
Steve

Steve Funk

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »
Thanks Roy,  great to know it can be done.  Now its a matter of ditching the 2 burner stove and going with two induction burners in that spot.  I already moved the two chassis batteries to the engine compartment and added two more house batteries.

Appreciate your help.

The other Steve 8)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
Steve If you find a good, quick way of disposing of the gas in the tank, let me know.
Thx,
Steve
Steve
We once had a coach with a regulator problem.  When it got filled there was considerable air in the tank.  I was told that the fix was to have the tank pumped out at a LP dealer and refilled.  Seems you could have yours pumped out and they would reimburse you for the fuel.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 05:49:49 PM »
Keith,
That's what I thought but haven't been able to locate a dealer that is willing to do that.
Steve
Steve

Dan Murphy

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 11:27:11 PM »
We took our propane tank out almost 2 yrs ago and installed 2 induction burners and a residential refrigerator. It was one of the best mods we have done and we are very happy.

Our tank was not empty but we unhooked it from the RV and our neighbor lifted it out with his skid-steer after we fashioned  a sling  around it.

Then we put it in our shed and ran a long hose to our gas grill and we used it up that way.

I am contemplating adding another inverter and a couple more batteries for the residential unit but haven't done that yet.We can almost make it thru the night when we dry camp but the AGS will start about 6 am which is a little early for a campground setting where other coaches are around.

But we do a lot of Walmarts when we travel and it is not a problem there.

Steve Funk

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 12:03:25 AM »
We took our propane tank out almost 2 yrs ago and installed 2 induction burners and a residential refrigerator. It was one of the best mods we have done and we are very happy.

Our tank was not empty but we unhooked it from the RV and our neighbor lifted it out with his skid-steer after we fashioned  a sling  around it.

Then we put it in our shed and ran a long hose to our gas grill and we used it up that way.

I am contemplating adding another inverter and a couple more batteries for the residential unit but haven't done that yet.We can almost make it thru the night when we dry camp but the AGS will start about 6 am which is a little early for a campground setting where other coaches are around.

But we do a lot of Walmarts when we travel and it is not a problem there.

Dan sounds like we have the same set up sort of.  I am thinking of getting rid of propane completely.  Have one induction burner would rebuild stove area with two burners.  As for the batteries I moved the chassis batteries to the very back engine area and put 2 6 volt batteries in the tray with the other four house batteries.  No problem getting through the night now without the AGS kicking in too early.  With the 200W PSW inverter I did not need to add a dedicated inverter.

Steve