Author Topic: Strange Leveling System - Right at the changover from SMC to Monaco?  (Read 2990 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
A woman who lives in the same city we do sent me an email saying she had purchased a 2003 Beaver Patriot, looked at the BAC membership and saw that we are nearby, and asked if we could meet to pick my brain (good luck with that) regarding the Beaver Systems, etc. I met her last Saturday in the parking lot of a closed down K-Mart, and we chatted about several things for a few hours.

This is really perplexing. She told me her coach had air-leveling only. She had some questions regarding the control panel, which turned out to not be a HWH system. The only identification I could find was ISP in one corner of the control pad. This pad had these indicators: retract, all up, power on. There was a rectangular group of lights that indicated the front, rear, and each side of the coach. When the power was put on, lights started circling the group and I could hear the air dumping. Eventually, in the middle of that group, there was a green light that lit up the word.."level". I looked at the manual, which mentioned "jacks" and "jacks seating". The manual said it was a Magnum leveling system. I thought perhaps it was an SMC coach (Magnum Chassis), but the engine compartment (a Cummins ISL) had a Roadmaster marque, and so did the wheels. Also, there was a label next to RIVA sticker that said "manufatured by Monaco Corporation".

After the green "level" light came on, I went outside and looked under the coach from several angles. There were no jacks on the ground. Nor could I see any retracted jacks anywhere where I would expect to see them.

Can anyone tell me what it was I saw? The coach was 37 ft long. 2 slides. One on the front curb side and one in the bedroom roadside. The manual, and the instructions from the previous owner clearly stated. The bedroom slide operated with the ignition switch on and the living room slide operated with it off. Incidentally, the coach was immaculate inside and out.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Farris

Stan,
From your description,it sounds like she has the SMC hydraulic leveling system. The jacks on that system do not go to the ground. They extend between the frame and the axle, and have to be retracted hydraulically because the cylinders are double acting with a pressure hose for extend and one for retract, therefore no retract springs are used.

There were a fairly large number of the systems in inventory when Monaco purchased Beaver, so they were installed on Monaco built Beavers for about a year after Monaco purchased Beaver.

Gerald 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:43:24 AM by Gerald Farris »
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
I think Gerald is correct on this one. When we bought our 2001 Contessa 5 years ago it had the SMC hydraulic jack system.  I kept having leak issues with the left rear jack and had spoke to Alliance coach about a repair to get the leak fixed. At that time they told me it couldn't be done. They suggested that they install an air leveling system tied into the airbags to level the coach at a $10000 conversion. I decided to wait after that price was given.

I spoke with an Engineer at HWH Corp in Moscow, Iowa and he suggested I bring the coach there to the factory, they would custom make an air leveling system, remove all the hydraulic jacks and tie and cap off the lines. We went there and had it done over the course of 2 1/2 days, new compressor, all custom wiring, new leveling pad and all fittings and air lines installed for $4900. It has been a great system for us and simple to use.

I know now that the jacks can be cut open and repaired if necessary by a few places around.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
I have the SMC system on my 03 Pat Thunder also.  It didn't work when I bought the coach so they converted it to manual instead of automatic.  I rarely use it because I also have the air leveling that was installed new as an option.  To be truthful the SMC system kind of scares me after all the issues I've seen here.  I only use it when I have to get under the coach. 
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH