Author Topic: 140 out of Grants Pass  (Read 4999 times)

Joe Rhea

140 out of Grants Pass
« on: May 29, 2017, 07:43:16 PM »
What is the condition of 140 east from Grants Pass into Utah to pick up 80. We are leaving West Yellowestone and headed west. Thought about going through Bend and then down to Grants Pass.
All advice would be appreciated.
Joe

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: 140 out of Grants Pass
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »
Admittedly we haven't driven the entirety of 140, but that which we have was better than a freeway.  Areas of it to the east were relatively free of traffic, and the landscapes variable and interesting - mild mountainous forest to high juniper desert to barren sageland.  Some might find certain areas boring, but the freedom from other vehicles and the wide countryside is right up our farm-raised alleys. 

Not far northeast of Lakeview is the hamlet of Plush where we've parked the coach in the "city" park and toaded 25 miles of gravel to gather Sunstones, or zigzag (toad only!) up the steep plateau to Hart Mtn. visitor center and antelope refuge.  West out of Lakeview is Junipers RV Resort, a favorite park on a working cattle ranch.

It's been some years, and Oregon's taxes have been slim for road maintenance of late, so I can't speak much to surface condition other than it was excellent back when.  I'll leave it here to more recent travelers to attest to that.  Years of snow and ice and studded tires on bare pavement are not kind to our roads. 

The stretches between Klamath Falls and to the east of Lakeview were plenty roomy, and good services available in both venues.  But Lakeview to Winnemucca is pretty barren country, so make sure your equipment is prepared - it's no place for a breakdown.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

jeffprupis

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 10:20:01 PM »
We just came from GP to Bend via 234>62>230>97. Smooth and well maintained.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 10:27:23 PM »
I have not been on 140 so I would have to take Joel's word for what it is.  I ran the routes on Google and from Medford to Winnemucca via 140 is 383 mi. and 6:36 for time.  I am familiar with I5 from Medford to Mount Shasta, 89 to Susanville, 395 to Reno and I80 to Winnemucca. It is a beautiful drive from Medford to Reno and not bad from Reno to Winnemucca as it is all freeway.  The numbers for that way are 470 mi. and 7:35 for time so it is further mileage wise and only one hour longer.  Considering that there is always a chance for breakdown, I would go the longer route as there is always help available in case of trouble with lots of towns on the route.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 10:52:58 PM »
Joe, you are in luck.  We were just on that road from Kalama the Falls  to Medford and the road is great.  There are only a couple hills worthy of an engine brake and the lanes are plenty wide.  Very nice drive up from upper Klamath lake but it does get just a little twisty for about 5 miles.  Don't think we ever dropped below 35 MPh.
FYI keep an eye out for the birds on the lake.  My wife got some gorgeous pics of great white pelicans and such.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joe Rhea

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 12:05:35 AM »
Thanks to all.
I think we will be conservative and go further south and across. The mountain crossing is what concerns me.
Thanks again
Joe

Cathileen Stark

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 10:37:13 PM »
We just came from LaPine (south of Bend) to Valley of the Rogue and then up to Grants pass on Thursday.  Beautiful ride, no issues with any of the drive in a 37' DP.  Leaving this Thursday heading back to Klamath Falls and down to Tule Lake.  Safe travels