Author Topic: LP Cylinder  (Read 3514 times)

Thomas James

LP Cylinder
« on: June 12, 2017, 12:37:27 AM »
Hey guys and gals...Got a question. And I've looked all over the net and can't find anything. OK-On my propane tank on my Patriot. It's a 50gl tank. Now, from what I've read it's probably an ASME tank. And those are supposed to be attached to the frame. Well, my coach is a '94. And the tank looks like it's seen better days. Aren't you supposed to get it tested every now and then? And, do they hydro test them or what? I was thinking about maybe changing mine out. If for no other reason, because it's 23 yrs old. It's probably time. But I can't find Anything on R&R of the tank. Just about filling/maintaining/ etc... Anyone out there have any experience on this, or maybe point me in the right direction?? Any help would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edward Buker

Re: LP Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 02:38:16 AM »
Thomas,

The propane itself has some oil mixed in and it does coat the inside of the tanks so with the propane in liquid form I see little reason to suspect the tank interior to be deteriorated. I assume you have surface rust on the outside that many times looks worse than it is. You could talk to a propane company and they may be able to pressure test it. I have not heard of anyone changing theirs out due to age but one of the propane companies should be able to give some good advice. It would not hurt to prime and paint the tank to hold the rust in check if you find the rust to be not severe. These tanks are quite thick GA metal.

Later Ed

Thomas James

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 02:59:02 AM »
Thanks alot Ed. Yeah, I've found some sites/forums that talked about this exact same thing since I posted this. I've found out that ASME tanks are quite thick(about 1/4") and are designed for severe duty. I just ordered some stuff to combat/stop the rust. Then prime/repaint. Thanks a bunch for the reply. It IS appreciated. See ya,

Thomas James

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 02:18:32 PM »
Another question - Is there any way to know what is above the ceiling of my coach? I mean as far as supports. Is it wood, metal...or what? Can you screw up into the ceiling-like for a ceiling mount for a TV? Also we're thinking about installing some panels in the bedroom on the ceiling. I've heard that you have to be careful up there because there is electrical run up there. Is it like a house-studs on 16 or 24" center or whatever?? Thanks in advance for any help.